How to create best prints?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Best prints, will be your best images. Isn't it?

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Best prints, will be your best images. Isn't it?

I think that not always... :unsure: enough,... there is still much of things that have so big influence in best prints.. like for example.. pictures editing, and exporting.. like...?

Baenki

Sep 9, 2020
I don't have a lot of experience of gettin my pictures printed, but a have made a photobook and a three posters on high quality art paper. One step I see as important there is soft-proofing. As a screen can display more colors than what can be printed, some of the colors you get in your editing will be lost or blown out when transphered to a physical medium.

Because of this some printing services will offer the possibility to download ICC-profiles for the printing processes and media they print on. You can download them and install them on your PC. After editing the image you want printed you can load those profiles into your editing software of choice (I know Photoshop, Affinity Photo and Capture One Pro 20 can do this). The profiles will then simulate the look of your picture, when printed on the medium the specific ICC-profile is simulating. Some softwares will also allow to display the color gamut, the color range which the chosen printing process can realize on the chosen medium and will mark all colors that are out of the possible range. You can now further edit your picture to fit into the possible color range or choose a different paper type with a different profile and retry.

It's very hard to get all colors into the possible gamut range, but the right choice of paper (matte, glossy) and printing type can influence the out of bound range a lot, but that is different for every picture and print you make.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I will try to print some macro pictures later, just to see what it gives.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I once participated in an event as a photographer and printed some A0 photos to show my skills and I noticed that a JPG is sometimes not good enough. So from that moment on I've started to save all my pictures as a high resolution TIFF. That part is more important than the print quality itself as most company uses high resolution ink jet printers up to DIN A0.

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
for sure, if you want to print a big page it's not the same ^^