Photography how to shoot macros of gold nuggets - soft lighting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Guest 1699

Jun 8, 2021
Hello macro friends,

I experimented with shooting macro photos of gold nuggets and I found, the soft lighting is crucial. I made a video for my gold prospector colleagues and explained a bit, so they also can start with macro photography with their own gold. Maybe you are interested in my talk as well. Enjoy!

ps: I'm an industrial lens design engineer, so if anybody has some optics questions, please ask, I'm more than happy to talk shop :)

video link:
Gold Macro Photography

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello G Schwendi.

Would be great if you want to share some tutorials. Also, we don't allow self promotion on site, to avoid spamming, so most of resources or discussions are based on photography evidence.

Guest 1699

Jun 8, 2021
Hello G Schwendi.

Would be great if you want to share some tutorials. Also, we don't allow self promotion on site, to avoid spamming, so most of resources or discussions are based on photography evidence.
Hi Jack,

OK it's important for me to follow the rules. Could you please explain, where the limit to self promotion is? I'm absolutely aware, that if I post a video of me, this is at least partly self promotion. So I'm not sure, is this OK for you? I don't plan to post thousands of videos like spam, to be honest, this is my only video about macro so far :) I only posted it, cause somebody asked me to post it in a forum thread... I'm sorry, if this is self promotion, if you want me to, I can delete it of course.

Thanks and have a great day,
Andreas

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello G Schwendi.

Hi Jack,

OK it's important for me to follow the rules. Could you please explain, where the limit to self promotion is? I'm absolutely aware, that if I post a video of me, this is at least partly self promotion. So I'm not sure, is this OK for you? I don't plan to post thousands of videos like spam, to be honest, this is my only video about macro so far :) I only posted it, cause somebody asked me to post it in a forum thread... I'm sorry, if this is self promotion, if you want me to, I can delete it of course.

Thanks and have a great day,
Andreas
The video should be OK. But please try avoid self promotion, however feel free to put all link to social media sites in your profile if you'd like.

We set the rules, to make sure that the forum isn't turning into a spam site.

You can also create tutorials on resources page, if the video will be for tutorial purpose, then this is not a problem at all, but pictures and more information are welcome.

Reactions: Guest 1699

Guest 1699

Jun 8, 2021
The video should be OK. But please try avoid self promotion, however feel free to put all link to social media sites in your profile if you'd like.

You can also create tutorials on resources page, if the video will be for tutorial purpose, then this is not a problem at all, but pictures and more information are welcome.
OK, got it. Thank you for your work on the forum!

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

OK, got it. Thank you for your work on the forum!
No problem at all. If you have any questions regarding the forum, please do ask. I'll be more than happy to help. And hope you are enjoying the site.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Wow! I watched the video and it's really very interesting with stunning shots of gold nuggets! I never thought about to to invest so much time and effort in taking pictures of gold nuggets (and honestly I don't have one) but it's worth it! No discussion about it! Thanks for sharing this video!

Guest 1699

Jun 8, 2021
Wow! I watched the video and it's really very interesting with stunning shots of gold nuggets! I never thought about to to invest so much time and effort in taking pictures of gold nuggets (and honestly I don't have one) but it's worth it! No discussion about it! Thanks for sharing this video!
Hey Helix-2648,

thank you very much for your feedback. Yes I was very surprised about the results. But you are also right, it required a lot of time and I would also love to try the Canon MPe-65 with 5x magnification, but currently I just have not enough time. But I also plan another little project, an optical engineer colleague of mine works at Leica Microsystems. He and an application engineer allow me to bring some small gold specimens to photograph it with their high-end 60'000$ macroscope with automated focus stacking etc. I'm really looking forward to that. We have to wait some time due to Covid-restrictions, but I hope we can soon realize this thing.

Have a great day!

• Wow

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hey Helix-2648,

thank you very much for your feedback. Yes I was very surprised about the results. But you are also right, it required a lot of time and I would also love to try the Canon MPe-65 with 5x magnification, but currently I just have not enough time. But I also plan another little project, an optical engineer colleague of mine works at Leica Microsystems. He and an application engineer allow me to bring some small gold specimens to photograph it with their high-end 60'000$ macroscope with automated focus stacking etc. I'm really looking forward to that. We have to wait some time due to Covid-restrictions, but I hope we can soon realize this thing.

Have a great day!
I would love to see these results.

Guest 1699

Jun 8, 2021
Hey Helix-2648,

Have a great day!
me too :). I'm afraid, it will take some time until we can realize, due to covid restrictions.