Imac

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
That's a great outcome, should run a little better for you. CPU and GPU are rarely a bottleneck unless of course you run very old versions and push your laptop with hardcore programs and games, most of the time as long as you have decent RAM and good disks ( operating system-ie Windows should be on an SSD, I would look into that as a possible next upgrade if possible) you can get decent performance from most machines for a good number of years.
The OS is running on a 128GB SSD, the second drive in the laptop is a HDD on which i use for backup. Also have 2 external SSD drives that i use as backups.

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
The OS is running on a 128GB SSD, the second drive in the laptop is a HDD on which i use for backup. Also have 2 external SSD drives that i use as backups.
Sounds like you are set for a while, good luck with it and I would like to hear how it runs next time you fire up some editing

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Sounds like you are set for a while, good luck with it and I would like to hear how it runs next time you fire up some editing
When i insert a sd card in the reader it takes about 70 seconds before lightroom is opened and i can stat importing photos. The editing itself works fine. When i open lightroom from within windows it takes about 43 seconds before i can start using it. The editing itself works fine. Is a improvement over how it was with 8GB, was about 120 second when inserting sd card and about 70 seconds when opening from within windows.

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I have been using Mac for a while now and prefer it to windows based machines, just for simplicity. However they are more costly and this may not be worth it for you, in addition to this it is challenging to upgrade the specs on Macs at a later date.
I would certainly look at upgrading the RAM on your current machine, with photoshop and Lightroom these days a minimum of 16GB is needed and ideally 32GB or more. Whichever path you choose RAM is a necessity with Lightroom and I personally wouldn't look at anything less than 32GB.

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I have been using Mac for a while now and prefer it to windows based machines, just for simplicity. However they are more costly and this may not be worth it for you, in addition to this it is challenging to upgrade the specs on Macs at a later date.
I would certainly look at upgrading the RAM on your current machine, with photoshop and Lightroom these days a minimum of 16GB is needed and ideally 32GB or more. Whichever path you choose RAM is a necessity with Lightroom and I personally wouldn't look at anything less than 32GB.
After going through some old laptop parts i found a 8gb so-dimm ram stick and installed that in my laptop. Laptop recognised it and now shows it has 16GB of ram both in windows and in Bios. I will keep looking out for a new laptop or imac/macbook but for the moment the laptop is working good.

Reactions: Andy Smith and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

With ram of 32gb the cost of laptop will start from at least $2000. I would also add that is important to have a dedicated graphic card as well when using Photoshop or Lightroom

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
An update after 5 months. The laptop is nearing its end. The battery is completely dead, need to have it plugged in all the time when using it. I thought about replacing the battery but decided not to do that. Also there are a few other issues with the laptop which made me decide to get a new one instead of spending money on getting this one fixed. The laptop is 4 years old and has been used a lot.

Now only need to find a good replacement.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
you can look at the new iMacs, with 16GB of RAM they are around $1,500 or the new 13" MacBook Pro which comes around the same price with 16GB of RAM.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
you can look at the new iMacs, with 16GB of RAM they are around $1,500 or the new 13" MacBook Pro which comes around the same price with 16GB of RAM.
The screen of a 13" MacBook is too small. I am looking at a windows laptop or the M1 mac mini with 16GB of ram or the new Imac with 16GB of ram

Reactions: Andy Smith