Photography Investment or waste of money?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
When you purchase a brand new lens or camera or second hand. How you see these spendings, as an investment or a waste of money? Do you think to sell the item(s) in the future, or you just buy it, to last a lifetime?

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
When you purchase a brand new lens or camera or second hand. How you see these spendings, as an investment or a waste of money? Do you think to sell the item(s) in the future, or you just buy it, to last a lifetime?
I buy to last a lifetime. The only investment I see is from what I can achieve and create from it, because of the value depreciation with use. Especially with the shutter counts on cameras. The higher the shutter count, the less you are likely to get on a resell.

Reactions: Jack

Bill

Oct 2, 2021
I'm a working pro so I view purchasing a little different than some. I purchase lenses for long term use but now purchase camera bodies for shorter term usage. Cameras today are like computers, they are updated and become obsolete so fast I find it beneficial to upgrade every few years while my current bodies still retain some degree of value. If you purchase high quality lens to begin with, I find they will serve for many years without issues (I will generally send them in for cleaning and maintenance every couple of years or so, as needed.)

Reactions: Tina Boes and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I'm a working pro so I view purchasing a little different than some. I purchase lenses for long term use but now purchase camera bodies for shorter term usage. Cameras today are like computers, they are updated and become obsolete so fast I find it beneficial to upgrade every few years while my current bodies still retain some degree of value. If you purchase high quality lens to begin with, I find they will serve for many years without issues (I will generally send them in for cleaning and maintenance every couple of years or so, as needed.)
So means for you buying camera lenses is a investment when camera bodies only expenses ? And yes I agree with you, camera bodies are like phones, need to be upgraded every couple of years, but then they are not cheap at all.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I buy to last a lifetime. The only investment I see is from what I can achieve and create from it, because of the value depreciation with use. Especially with the shutter counts on cameras. The higher the shutter count, the less you are likely to get on a resell.

That’s true about cameras, how about lenses ? Do you see buying lenses as investment for future ?

Reactions: Tina Boes

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
That’s true about cameras, how about lenses ? Do you see buying lenses as investment for future ?
I think Lenses are a bit different with value than the cameras. With cameras, as Bill said, they become outdated very fast and you have to deal with high shutter counts. I have recently had to repair a shutter assembly in one of my Nikons due to the cheap manufacturing of the shutter blade assembly. Lenses can be valuable no matter how old they get, provided you take care of them. So, lenses would be an investment....but I don't buy to sell them later.

Reactions: Jack

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I buy my lenses as a long term purchase with no intention of resale later on, I try to purchase the best glass I can at the time (or saving until I can afford the one I want) and tend to shy away from cheaper or 3rd party glass as I am worried about future compatibility. My camera body is the same, although I understand I may upgrade the camera body after 5 years or so, and may consider selling the older body, although I haven't sold anything ever yet :)

Reactions: Jack and Tina Boes

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I think Lenses are a bit different with value than the cameras. With cameras, as Bill said, they become outdated very fast and you have to deal with high shutter counts. I have recently had to repair a shutter assembly in one of my Nikons due to the cheap manufacturing of the shutter blade assembly. Lenses can be valuable no matter how old they get, provided you take care of them. So, lenses would be an investment....but I don't buy to sell them later.

I had sold before one of my lens, and was after that a bit upset because sold it for cheap on eBay. But , now I’ve learnt the lesson. Same, I’m not planning to sell any lenses, maybe my camera body in the future.

Do you have a lot of lenses?

Reactions: Tina Boes

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I buy my lenses as a long term purchase with no intention of resale later on, I try to purchase the best glass I can at the time (or saving until I can afford the one I want) and tend to shy away from cheaper or 3rd party glass as I am worried about future compatibility. My camera body is the same, although I understand I may upgrade the camera body after 5 years or so, and may consider selling the older body, although I haven't sold anything ever yet :)

I have the same opinion, never purchased second hand lenses or 3rd party . All my equipment is Canon branded, and brand new in mint condition. Can you be worried about future compatibility with branded lenses ?