Photography Investment or waste of money?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I had sold before one of my lens, and was after that a bit upset because sold it for cheap on eBay. But , now I’ve learnt the lesson. Same, I’m not planning to sell any lenses, maybe my camera body in the future.

Do you have a lot of lenses?
I don't have a great library of lenses at the moment, but I'm slowly gaining. A few years ago I had a Canon EOS system with about twenty lenses and way too many accessories. LOL We had a major layoff at work and it lasted 6 months. During that time I was forced to sell all of my cameras and lenses on Ebay just to keep making the necessary payments to keep my home and utilities going. Two years ago someone gifted me a Nikon D7100 with the nifty fifty lens. I've been building on that now. My lens assortment is growing, but nothing near what I used to have. I'm the same as mentioned earlier, I want to wait and save for the best glass. Recently the 105mm, pre-owned but it's in excellent condition. And I have 3 camera bodies now, all the same Nikons. I will not have another down time because of a camera needing repair. :giggle:

• Wow
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I don't have a great library of lenses at the moment, but I'm slowly gaining. A few years ago I had a Canon EOS system with about twenty lenses and way too many accessories. LOL We had a major layoff at work and it lasted 6 months. During that time I was forced to sell all of my cameras and lenses on Ebay just to keep making the necessary payments to keep my home and utilities going. Two years ago someone gifted me a Nikon D7100 with the nifty fifty lens. I've been building on that now. My lens assortment is growing, but nothing near what I used to have. I'm the same as mentioned earlier, I want to wait and save for the best glass. Recently the 105mm, pre-owned but it's in excellent condition. And I have 3 camera bodies now, all the same Nikons. I will not have another down time because of a camera needing repair. :giggle:
You still have more than me :D . And 20 , lenses that’s a lot of them, a bit sorry that you had to sell them. Are you planning to buy same amount of lenses again ?

H3AdBaBY

Oct 12, 2021
I view most of my photo related purchases as an investment. In fact, I still have my first kit, a Nikon FM and 43-86mm Nikkor zoom purchased new in 1978. I used it hard in wet and dry, heat and cold, and it was working fine when I retired it in 2005 in favor of a brand new Nikon D70. Which I still have! I’ve since upgraded to a Nikon D7200 as well as another D70 IR conversion, and I’ve got yet another D70 arriving tomorrow that I intend to convert to full spectrum. I still have all the lenses I’ve purchased with one exception - the Sigma 105mm Macro that worked fine on the D70 but just wouldn’t work with the D7200.

Reactions: Jack and Andy Smith

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I view most of my photo related purchases as an investment. In fact, I still have my first kit, a Nikon FM and 43-86mm Nikkor zoom purchased new in 1978. I used it hard in wet and dry, heat and cold, and it was working fine when I retired it in 2005 in favor of a brand new Nikon D70. Which I still have! I’ve since upgraded to a Nikon D7200 as well as another D70 IR conversion, and I’ve got yet another D70 arriving tomorrow that I intend to convert to full spectrum. I still have all the lenses I’ve purchased with one exception - the Sigma 105mm Macro that worked fine on the D70 but just wouldn’t work with the D7200.
Means you must have lot of photography equipment. Have you considered to sell old lenses?

H3AdBaBY

Oct 12, 2021
Means you must have lot of photography equipment. Have you considered to sell old lenses?
Actually, I don’t have many lenses. Well…. Maybe I do. I have my original D70 and kit lens, a D70 with a Sigma zoom that my grandson occasionally uses, a D70 IR conversion with a Nikon zoom, the new D70 I just converted to full spectrum with a Sigma zoom, a D7200 that I use with a Nikon 40mm micro, a 150-600mm Sigma, a 18-35mm Sigma, and a Laowa 25mm Ultra Macro. Oh, I’ve also got a couple lenses for my old Nikon FM film camera. But I need them all! No, really I do!! Ha!

Anitairl

Oct 20, 2021
When you purchase a brand new lens or camera or second hand. How you see these spendings, as an investment or a waste of money? Do you think to sell the item(s) in the future, or you just buy it, to last a lifetime?I don't have any intention to sell any of my gear
I don't have any intention to sell any of my gear.. Everything I don't use its in the boxes 😂 im sentimentality attached to all my equipment
It is definitely investment never a waste of money..

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I don't have any intention to sell any of my gear.. Everything I don't use its in the boxes 😂 im sentimentality attached to all my equipment
It is definitely investment never a waste of money..

Agree, same I have all boxes for my lenses, unfortunately not for my cameras. However, I keep my equipment in my bag rather than in the boxes. Would you consider to sell them in order to upgrade?

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Actually, I don’t have many lenses. Well…. Maybe I do. I have my original D70 and kit lens, a D70 with a Sigma zoom that my grandson occasionally uses, a D70 IR conversion with a Nikon zoom, the new D70 I just converted to full spectrum with a Sigma zoom, a D7200 that I use with a Nikon 40mm micro, a 150-600mm Sigma, a 18-35mm Sigma, and a Laowa 25mm Ultra Macro. Oh, I’ve also got a couple lenses for my old Nikon FM film camera. But I need them all! No, really I do!! Ha!

Selling own equipment is not an option I believe, especially when you get attached to them, as Anitairl Anitairl mentioned above.

Reactions: Anitairl