Lens Issue with 100mm L f2.8

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member want's to discuss about the lens specified in the topic.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hi. Yesterday I've done some macro images with my lens which is 100mm L f2.8. Once I took it off from my camera, I've noticed very hard noise while shaking the lens. Has anyone experienced same issue ? Just interesting, and I'm a bit worried about the lens, as is still brand new, and haven't used much.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I assume it's caused by the internal stabilizer. Have you noticed any problems with your auto focus or your iris during the shooting? Try to turn off the image stabilizer and test it again.

But I'm not an expert and I don't have this lens at home to test it by myself.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I assume it's caused by the internal stabilizer. Have you noticed any problems with your auto focus or your iris during the shooting? Try to turn off the image stabilizer and test it again.

But I'm not an expert and I don't have this lens at home to test it by myself.
when I took it off, I noticed the lens diaphragms was very small, i did put back to the lens, and made a picture, and when I took it off, is was fine, the noise still was there, but not as when the diaphragms was small. I don’t know if anyone has same issue. But very weird .

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I've had that same issue, but when I used that lens with my Sony camera and a Metabones Canon to Sony adapter. at times, when I turned the camera off, the IS unit remained lose and made some noise. I had to turn on the camera again, with the IS on, on the lens, half press the shutter release to have the IS working, stop pressing the button and waiting for the IS to stop. by doing that the IS remained locked when I turned the camera off again.

Reactions: Helix_2648 and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I've had that same issue, but when I used that lens with my Sony camera and a Metabones Canon to Sony adapter. at times, when I turned the camera off, the IS unit remained lose and made some noise. I had to turn on the camera again, with the IS on, on the lens, half press the shutter release to have the IS working, stop pressing the button and waiting for the IS to stop. by doing that the IS remained locked when I turned the camera off again.
So you saying that's because of IS. I had attached the lens to my m50 through an adapter. You think that's the issue? I was really scared, I thought that I broke the lens, which I didn't used that much.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Really good and helpful post K kzurro. Hopefully this will solve the issue from Jack Jack

Reactions: kzurro and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I already solved, just attached back to the camera and took couple of photos. But when I heard the noise, I thought that I broke the lens, and was very scared. I just asked to see if others had any similar issues with their lenses.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
you see? you also used it with an adapter, maybe even a Canon EF to M mount, but it also happens with it. as far as I can remember it never happened with my Canon 50D, but as soon as I began to use it with an adapter I began to have that issue.

I even contacted Metabones and they told me it was a known issue with some lenses. they wanted me to ship them the adapter to update its firmware, but I didn't want to be like 2 months with no macro lens, so I just dealt with it following the steps I told you.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
yes, but I shouldn’t have the issue because the adapter is still fro, Canon , which make a bit non sense to have lens issue because of same manufacture adapter. I could understand if the adapter was from third party companies .