Photography Laowa 100mm (full frame) vs Laowa 50mm (MFT)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

scmkr

3 1 2
May 5, 2022
I have the following setups:

Sony a7IV
  • Laowa 100mm 2.8
  • Sony 90mm Macro
  • Godox 850III
  • Cygnustech Diffuser
OM Systems OM-1
  • Laowa 50mm 2.8
  • Olympus 60mm Macro
  • Godox v350o
  • Cygnustech Diffuser

I originally got the Sony, but paired with either the Laowa or the Sony macro + flash + diffuser, the setup is just WAY too heavy to be lugging around in the field for very long, so I decided to get the OM-1 setup and then sell the one I liked less.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, there's things I like about both, so I haven't sold either one yet. I do feel like I'm in a pretty good position to compare, though. Whichever system I use, I prefer the Laowa lens. I like that it can do 2x out of the box, but I also like how smooth and fast the manual focus is. I have not yet gotten the hang of doing macro with automatic focus. I've tried, but when the bug is really small, the lens tends to breath and by the time I get locked on to where the bug was, it's not there anymore. The Olympus lens has manual focus that is REALLY way too slow so I almost never use it.

The Sony does take slightly better pictures with better bokeh for macro, but it's not a huge difference. When it comes to non-macro, though, the Sony just does a better job in my opinion. So, I use the Sony when I'm taking pictures of bugs in the backyard, and the OM-1 for everything else.

The camera bodies aren't that much different in size and weight. I prefer the focus peaking on the Sony and the focus magnification on the OM-1. The lenses are where the size difference happens, though:

PXL_20220603_171748734.jpg

These lenses are largely the same. Same maximum aperture, same equivalent focal length, same features, but as you can see, one is MUCH smaller (and lighter). Some differences I have noted:

1. The MFT version has electronic aperture control, which is nice, because it's really easy to accidentally move the ring on the Full Frame version.
2. The MFT version is MUCH more prone to flaring and haze. Easily fixable in Lightroom, though.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Nice set up scmkr scmkr , why you don’t share you set up on this dedicated page?

Apologies for the late response, I was away, members aren’t really getting engaged in photo discussions 😅

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
you don't seem to be sure about the smaller/lighter M4/3 system being an advantage, so my suggestion is to take some photos of the same subject with both setups and compare them.

is the Godox 350 powerful enough? because the 850 is also big and heavy and you could get a 350 for Sony.

one more consideration, what's the working distance of both setups at the minimum focus distance?