Want critique Learining new techniques with very nice friend from the forest :)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
1/60s f/10 ISO 1000
Olympus 60 mm macro. + external ring tubs mmlite 10+16mm , Led ring macro flash in camera.
OMD em10III
Edit Lightroom classic CC, single shot
Tripod + macro rail

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
untitled-6010307.jpg

How you like this picture?

I need some of opinions and critique, how you like and how to improve the insects shooting with external ring tubs using..
Still learning new technique, I think this picture can best from the sarja with this sweet friend from forest... after lot of tryings ;) . I can of course share more in commend.. :unsure:;)

D

Deleted member 250

Hi nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo
Good points,
You have nailed the focus where it should be.
Colours look good.
A nice angle and attitude of the insect.
Good composition.

Not so good points,
Iso 1000 is interfering with the definition.
The large light area in the background is very distracting. In macro photography the background is almost as important as the subject.
The image lacks "sparkle".

I hope my critique is helpful.
Advising how to use extension tubes is impossible as it is all down to trial and error and lots of practice.
I would maybe advise just using the macro lens on its own for a while and improve your technique.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hi nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo
Good points,
You have nailed the focus where it should be.
Colours look good.
A nice angle and attitude of the insect.
Good composition.

Not so good points,
Iso 1000 is interfering with the definition.
The large light area in the background is very distracting. In macro photography the background is almost as important as the subject.
The image lacks "sparkle".

I hope my critique is helpful.
Advising how to use extension tubes is impossible as it is all down to trial and error and lots of practice.
I would maybe advise just using the macro lens on its own for a while and improve your technique.

Thanks a lot @Bill Edwards , for good opinion in detals (y)

In this technique is still lot of practic yes, but step by step, is going much better as in the start :D, shooting with lens I have been practiced by 3 years so , it\s no problem, but now I have a goal to learn use the ring tubs and go closer, and the ring flash maybe sometimes to strong light, I need to think about any diffuser for it .. , and of course I shoot sometimes withought ring tubs too.. , with tubs sometimes i too close to subject.. lucky is not a problem to remove it, if is not rainy a day.. :D. Ring tubs are very useful and intresting is go so close to subjects with them, only the light and poin of sharpnes is very low, so because of them I need to higher ISO offen, especilally with insects ..

Yes, vey useful critique @Bill Edwards , thanks ;)

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
The background is really a little bit distracting. I would recommend to reduce ISO and aperture to get at least the same or better a higher shutter speed. This makes the background a little bit more blurred. You mentioned a macro rail... so the picture is stacked, isn't it? In this case I would try to take some more pictures for a higher DOF.

The perspective and the colors are really good but the ISO is definitely too high. You should try to remove the noise.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

3 2
Apr 18, 2020
The background is really a little bit distracting. I would recommend to reduce ISO and aperture to get at least the same or better a higher shutter speed. This makes the background a little bit more blurred. You mentioned a macro rail... so the picture is stacked, isn't it? In this case I would try to take some more pictures for a higher DOF.

The perspective and the colors are really good but the ISO is definitely too high. You should try to remove the noise.

Danke shön Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , why you think, Iso is too high?
I think I reduced the noise enough form the background, but in the insect I didn't want to lost the sharpness..🤔. You can zoom really lot the picture and the noise I think this not distrub the eye..
Or what do you think? 🤔

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
You're welcome nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo.

1591210305951.png

From my point of view the noise is way too big. It's difficult to remove such a strong noise afterwards without loosing too much details. So it's a mix of accepting some noise, removing the most distracting noise and sharpen the details. Sometimes I use also ISO 800 but the APC sensor from the EOS 90D has a really good dynamic and the noise is not so strong as with my old EOS 700D. That's why I mentioned to remove some noise and improve and sharpen the details.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

3 2
Apr 18, 2020
You're welcome nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo.

View attachment 4480

From my point of view the noise is way too big. It's difficult to remove such a strong noise afterwards without loosing too much details. So it's a mix of accepting some noise, removing the most distracting noise and sharpen the details. Sometimes I use also ISO 800 but the APC sensor from the EOS 90D has a really good dynamic and the noise is not so strong as with my old EOS 700D. That's why I mentioned to remove some noise and improve and sharpen the details.

Thanks again Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , this noise I can try to remove a bit, there is only no sharp area, I added the sharpness there, so the noise is because of brash sharpen tool..

This is only single picture, the rail I bought last week with new tripod, it's very useful to shooting insects, and focus stacking too, I tried with this shoot fous stacking in camera but I got a better sharpness if it by highest f numbers..

I think still about the background what do you think gues, how I can get better background although I use higher f numbers and dof, and the flash...?
Do you think any diffuser can help with?🤔
The ring light macro flash I use.. 🤔