Your opinion? Learning

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

PWalt

Sep 21, 2021
From my first session of playing with water droplets in the vertical realm (vs drops on flat glass). Droplet on a rose leaf from my yard. Dollar store fake flower in the background/refraction. Lighting was from a constant source (LumeCube panel) and taken in dark-ish room. Need to lower my ISO, evidently. Also ... need to experiment with my new flash! But ... progress is progress.

I'm happy with this image, but there's obviously room for improvement. Is the next step flash? Or might I be missing something? Taken with Nikon Z50 with Nikon 105mm 2.8 macro.

water drop pink flower.jpg

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
The photo is nice, the reflections are beautiful. I usually mix water and glycerin to create rounder water droplets.

Reactions: PWalt

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Looks great! i love the colours, I see you are lighting the background flower which is correct way to light these scenes, watch out not to overpower the light on the drop, you want that flower light to be the main source. If you keep the drops spherical the image within will be sharp and detailed. Glyceryn sure helps but another way is finding hydrophobic leaves and petals, they will repel the water and prevent it from flattening out naturally, look for furry leaves and petals and try spraying them to see if water beads. Good luck and thanks for sharing

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Such a wonderful and tiny world within a single drop. The light and the reflections looks just gorgeous! I need to try this at home too!

PWalt

Sep 21, 2021
Looks great! i love the colours, I see you are lighting the background flower which is correct way to light these scenes, watch out not to overpower the light on the drop, you want that flower light to be the main source. If you keep the drops spherical the image within will be sharp and detailed. Glyceryn sure helps but another way is finding hydrophobic leaves and petals, they will repel the water and prevent it from flattening out naturally, look for furry leaves and petals and try spraying them to see if water beads. Good luck and thanks for sharing
Thanks for the suggestion about the spray bottle! That's one of those things that makes so much sense, but I wouldn't have thought of.

Oh, and having the room lights be on voice "Google" control? Also a good idea! :)

Reactions: Chavezshutter

PWalt

Sep 21, 2021
Such a wonderful and tiny world within a single drop. The light and the reflections looks just gorgeous! I need to try this at home too!
Definitely a lot of moving parts to compose the shot. How far from the lens? How far from each other? What direction should the light point? Where is that stray light coming from? BUT ... it's pretty cool! Will totally be worth it as the days get shorter and colder.

Reactions: Helix_2648