Your opinion? Let's Get this Forum Started - June Bug

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
This is an European chafer, the bane of fine upstanding southern lawns throughout the United States. As a child I was fascinated by these beetles and would keep them in shoe boxes with plastic wrap windows.

Despite the nickname “June Bug” the beetles often come out as early April, as was the case with the subject. Life span of the adult (beetle) is short, usually lasting a couple of weeks. It’s a nocturnal insect and often morning light reveals my back patio littered with carcasses from spring through early fall. This is one such carcass.

For photography purposes the colors are rather bland but the insect is rich with textures and details, which make them interesting for me to photograph. First tabletop insect stack I ever did was of a June Bug so this is also a good comparison photo to see how much my technique has progressed over the years.

Image specs: Sixty Image Stack on Tabletop Rig - MP-E 65mm @3.5:1 - f/4 - SS 1/40 - ISO100 - Flash at 1/8 power with DIY triangular diffuser. Stacked in Zerene with cleanup in Photoshop. june-bug.jpg

Last edited:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Wow, first photo shared on Extreme Macro subforum. Thanks for that. And the photo is stunning. Very close, and a lot of images stacked together to achieve this beautiful shoot. Please do share more if you have.

Reactions: Greg Shchepanek

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Very good clarity and sharpness but I'm a bit distracted becuase of the yellow background. A black one would maybe look better from my point of view. Apart from that it's really a very good stack!