Lighting under subjects, bounce from below somehow?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Hi everyone. I am trying to find a way to bounce some light from underneath the camera lens when really in tight to a subject such as an insect while using a Raynox 250 on the lens, or just the macro lens. I have a flash that will direct light down from the top, but often I get the lower area of the subject too dark for my liking. This happens especially with Dragonflies when I am in tight with the macro lens. The top part of them and some of the front is lit okay, but the undersides, jaw areas are not. (I hope that makes sense)
I'm looking for more even lighting of the whole critter instead of just the top.
Do any of you use any kind of rigs to bounce light back up? Or should I be doing this a different way?
Thanks if you can help.
:)

Reactions: Jack
Solution
Hi Tina Boes Tina Boes. Like said by Jack Jack you should consider in using a diffuser for your flash that will provide a smooth light well diffused. Also its possible to had under the lens a piece of white plastic of 2 or 3 cm large to bound a bit the light of the flash.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Hi Tina Boes Tina Boes. Like said by Jack Jack you should consider in using a diffuser for your flash that will provide a smooth light well diffused. Also its possible to had under the lens a piece of white plastic of 2 or 3 cm large to bound a bit the light of the flash.
Hi, thanks to all for your help. I do use a diffuser on my flash. I'm going to try a different one homemade from the pringles can. I don't like pringles, so I guess I'll crush them up and feed to the critters. LOL I have an idea to bounce a little light from under as well, I will put that into practice this weekend.
[automerge]1627567226[/automerge]
Hi, thanks to all for your help. I do use a diffuser on my flash. I'm going to try a different one homemade from the pringles can. I don't like pringles, so I guess I'll crush them up and feed to the critters. LOL I have an idea to bounce a little light from under as well, I will put that into practice this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.