Lightroom problem

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I have a problem with Lightroom. When i open it all works fine except for the fact that all of my photos have duplicates, sometimes it is 2 and other times it is 3 or 4. It is always a surprise how many duplicates Lightroom creates. The duplicates are only visible in Lightroom, in the folders there are no duplicates.

Any one having an idea how to fix this? I deleted the catalogue and created new one but always the same problem with duplicates. i checked online but haven't found anything that fixes the problem.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Are you importing direct from the camera or from folders on the hard drive?
Do the duplicates have the same file name?
Are the duplicates different format (jpg/dng/raw)?
Do you have the "Don't import suspected duplicates" box checked?

It can be for a multitude of different reasons TMG1961, so more details on how you import photo's would be helpful to narrow down and solve the problem.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Are you importing direct from the camera or from folders on the hard drive?
Do the duplicates have the same file name?
Are the duplicates different format (jpg/dng/raw)?
Do you have the "Don't import suspected duplicates" box checked?

It can be for a multitude of different reasons TMG1961, so more details on how you import photo's would be helpful to narrow down and solve the problem.
When i import photos from the SD card i use an external card reader that is connected to the mac mini through usb-c. I don't have the box checked for don't import duplicates but never had an issue with duplicates when importing from sd card.

The duplicate files have the same name and format as the original files but the name has -2 added. So a file called one.jpg has a duplicate called one-2.jpg. Every file that is in the catalogue is duplicated, only the folders the files are in are not duplicated.

I deleted the catalogue and created a new catalogue. Then i imported the photos from the folders on hard drive and get the duplicates along with empty older folders that i deleted. No idea were lightroom gets those from because they are deleted from the drive. Even using a backup creates duplicates.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I found what was causing the problem. There was a map within another map that contained photos that were also in other maps, same name, same date etc etc. I removed it from the disc and after deleting the old catalogue and creating a new one and importing all photos from the folders the duplicates were gone.

Reactions: Andy Smith