Lighting & Studio Macro lighting for beginners

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Discuss about lighting sources and other equipment which provides source of light in order to achieve detailed photos. Or studio equipment to make arrangements for product photography or other.

Namegozh3@r

Jan 12, 2022
I have a normal single godox flash 860IIIf ,as a fledgling macro, or hell even photographer, is there a need for me to get a ring flash, or one of the twin flash units that are available. Will I be able to achieve close to the level of pictures seen on the home page ( from a lighting perspective) or do I need the upgrade?

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi,

I use mostly a single flash with a DIY custom diffuser, its a good setup for live subjects which is what I shoot most in macro. I do have a LED ring flash but dont use it as much since im not a fan of reflected ring light in things like droplets, spider's eyes, etc. On the right subject some people get good results from it. I have never played with twin flashes but I have seen good results from them too though I do think diffusion is important with them just like with a single flash. I also use LED lights for smaller, stationary subjects, usually indoor shooting. Are you using any diffusion on that single flash?

Reactions: Jack

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi Namegozh3@r,
I use a single flash sometimes on camera with a diffuser when I am out and about as it is a great, simple way to get good lighting. I also have a 1 metre extension cable that allows me to use the single flash off camera for different effects like side lighting etc. I also use a twin lite flash for more close up work usually in a studio set up at home, or sometimes if I am just walking round my garden looking for interesting subjects.
All methods give good results and I have no real favourite method, it depends what I am trying to achieve.
You do not need to upgrade to a ring flash or twin lite flash to be honest, but you may find you want to in future as you get more into the macro scene. I would use what you have for a while as you will get great images from that set up just as easily. A diffuser is very helpful though and if you don't already have one, try to get one as they are not expensive and will make the lighting a lot better.

Namegozh3@r

Jan 12, 2022
Hi,

I use mostly a single flash with a DIY custom diffuser, its a good setup for live subjects which is what I shoot most in macro. I do have a LED ring flash but dont use it as much since im not a fan of reflected ring light in things like droplets, spider's eyes, etc. On the right subject some people get good results from it. I have never played with twin flashes but I have seen good results from them too though I do think diffusion is important with them just like with a single flash. I also use LED lights for smaller, stationary subjects, usually indoor shooting. Are you using any diffusion on that single flash?
I have one of those opaque plastic caps that snaps over the flash, I take it I should opt for the kind that is more of a convex shield, and remove the plastic cap?

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Namegozh3@r

Jan 12, 2022
Also, where are you located, only cuz I wanna know if itā€™s time to go photograph our local,Passion flowers here in southern calif.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I have one of those opaque plastic caps that snaps over the flash, I take it I should opt for the kind that is more of a convex shield, and remove the plastic cap?
A plastic cap like you mention will give you diffusion which is what we want but I have found out that directing the light is important too. Most flashes sit a fair way back on camera bodies and cannot direct light unto a subject that is too close since the light has to pass through the lens to light up something so close, adding to that most flashes dont tilt far down enough and the light they make often goes right over the area we are trying to light up. I started flash macro with no diffusion at all so you're already doing one better with the plastic diffuser šŸ˜. Have a look at the options available for you as you progress, there are of course ready made diffusers for sale available and there is DIY options. You can find some DIY designs in our resources page (https://macroderie.com/resources/) and plenty of others online - Youtube and FB groups. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack