Begginer Macro

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Suze26

Jul 20, 2021
Hi I am totally new to photography and hence new to Macro - although I am interested in capturing some pics with my Macro lens. Any info would be great and constructive criticism is welcomed. I have taken a few pics in my garden of flowers and bees they are not as large as most pics on this site but it is a start.

Attachments

• IMG_256a..jpg
    IMG_256a..jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2602b.jpg
    IMG_2602b.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Jack

casualaction

Jun 21, 2021
Great start indeed! I really like the composition of the flower picture.

Rambling advice off the top of my head:
One challenge you're going to run into with macro photography is that using a macro lens requires more light than usual. The amount of light is going to affect how well you're going to be able to shoot your subject and keep your shutter speed up and without enough light, you're camera can drop the shutter speed too low for macro work (if you're using AUTO). I'm not sure much you know about using your camera's shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. If you are on AUTO you should try to shoot during the daytime in areas with a lots of light. This will give your camera the best chance to get a sharp shot. Running a flash works too, but is a whole conversation in itself. Once you learn more about working with the camera's settings you'll be able to get better and better shots in more challenging lighting conditions.

Building your skill editing your photo in post can make a night and day difference in your results as well.

Macro is something I look forward to when the weather breaks every spring. Enjoy the new hobby and have fun exploring the macro world!

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Great start indeed! I really like the composition of the flower picture.

Rambling advice off the top of my head:
One challenge you're going to run into with macro photography is that using a macro lens requires more light than usual. The amount of light is going to affect how well you're going to be able to shoot your subject and keep your shutter speed up and without enough light, you're camera can drop the shutter speed too low for macro work (if you're using AUTO). I'm not sure much you know about using your camera's shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. If you are on AUTO you should try to shoot during the daytime in areas with a lots of light. This will give your camera the best chance to get a sharp shot. Running a flash works too, but is a whole conversation in itself. Once you learn more about working with the camera's settings you'll be able to get better and better shots in more challenging lighting conditions.

Building your skill editing your photo in post can make a night and day difference in your results as well.

Macro is something I look forward to when the weather breaks every spring. Enjoy the new hobby and have fun exploring the macro world!
That’s well said , thanks C casualaction For this advice.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Great advice C casualaction! Thanks for that! S Suze26 will for sure appreciate this. I would recommend to have a look to our media gallery to get some inspirations and then I can only give one advice... give it a try and don't give up! You'll see, that your photos becomes better from time to time. Always ask for criticism and advice for each new photo and test as many as possible.