Photography Moon Pictures

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
Thought I'd talk about Stacking for Moon shots as there's a few bits of discussion in other threads about getting a better Moon shot

You all know how it improves Macro, but it has a huge impact on Astro work too, but in a different way.
Macro stacking gives you more DoF, but stacking for the Moon is all about contrast, detail and removing noise.

You need slightly different software, I use 'Autostakkert3' which is designed for the job (and free) www.autostakkert.com

Digital sensors don't like black, don't like a lack of contrast and generally generate noise which messes with the quality of the image.
Stacking compares frames, looks for random differences between shots (the noise you don't want) and the consistent detail you want to keep or enhance, like shadow around the craters.

Take some test shots and work out the correct exposure settings, then stick the camera on motordrive, all settings on Manual so they don't change and fire off about 20 frames, all the same

Run them through the software to combine, then you can have a play in Photoshop if you want to mess with the contrast etc

Below is taken with Canon 300mm plus 1.4x and 2x extenders (840mm), plus a crop too
It's a 20 shot stack as above, each frame was 1/800 @f/8 ISO640
Potential for more sharpness with a tripod as you can put the image on the screen and zoom right in on some craters rather than rely on eye in the viewfinder, this was handheld but leaning on top of a fence
Moon3.jpg

Attachments

• Autoskakkert3-150x150.png
    Autoskakkert3-150x150.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Is this some free software to download for stacking images?
[automerge]1625993187[/automerge]
I also would love to try shooting the moon, but my longest lens is 70-300 , so no chance for me.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
I also would love to try shooting the moon, but my longest lens is 70-300 , so no chance for me.
Yes the linked stacking software is free.
It's only for astro work though, don't try for Macro, it does different things

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Then it's better to add this to resources page, otherwise is getting lost in forum threads :) . Personally I don't do macro stacking, but Helix_2648 Helix_2648 @MinitecaPhotographie and @Ron Westbroek they do a lot of stacking.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
Ok, feel free to move, or is it something I do?

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I love the moon photo 😍.
Thank you for the tutorial.
Me and my husband are fans of UFO and astronomy. Hope someday can try to capture a photo of the beautiful moon.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I cant move it, but you can create it again here. Is more proper made.

stubanham

Jul 8, 2021
OK redone it with more detail and a reworked version of the image too - if it's more tutorial than a quick post I thought it worth more effort :)

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The resource page is only for tutorials and guide, and very useful for new members, so if you’d like to share any tutorials, feel free. In forum threads will get lost in my opinion.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I know a method called Media stacking:

"Median stacking will consider all the values of a pixel at a single location across each image in the stack, then choose the final value for that pixel based on the median result. ... By combining multiple images they can significantly increase their Signal-to-Noise ratio."
Copyright

Not sure if this is the same but would for sure have the same effect.