Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Your opinion? 

Mosquito 5x

Trying to get better at extreme macro, so tried this one out for fun.
A mosquito at 5x magnification using the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro lens (which I picked up new on Amazon a few months back for a staggering $544 only, on the 'Today's deals' section)
I know I missed focus slightly on a few frames by maybe adjusting the rail too much but Let me know what you think guys, am I on the right track?
Any critique, tips or advice is warmly welcomed.

Canon R5, MP-E 65, Canon MT-26EX-RT Twin Lite Flash, Kirk Enterprises Focusing Rail FR-2 (which I find excellent BTW and very easy to make small adjustments)
f/7.1, 1/60, ISO 100
Image 1 was a stack of 50 shots and Image 2 was a stack of 64 shots, stacked in Affinity photo and processed further in Photoshop.

Mozzie_001_2048.jpg

Attachments

• Mozzie_002_2048.jpg
    Mozzie_002_2048.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 20
Hi, I was born in Mansfield, UK and have spent most of my adult life living and working across the Middle East and Asia. I recently decided to resign from working in Dubai, where I have spent the past 30 years, to spend more time at home with...
View all 11 featured items

MARCHAND Angélique

Oct 24, 2021
Trying to get better at extreme macro, so tried this one out for fun.
A mosquito at 5x magnification using the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro lens (which I picked up new on Amazon a few months back for a staggering $544 only, on the 'Today's deals' section)
I know I missed focus slightly on a few frames by maybe adjusting the rail too much but Let me know what you think guys, am I on the right track?
Any critique, tips or advice is warmly welcomed.

Canon R5, MP-E 65, Canon MT-26EX-RT Twin Lite Flash, Kirk Enterprises Focusing Rail FR-2 (which I find excellent BTW and very easy to make small adjustments)
f/7.1, 1/60, ISO 100
Image 1 was a stack of 50 shots and Image 2 was a stack of 64 shots, stacked in Affinity photo and processed further in Photoshop.

View attachment 21277
Whaou! I try to do macro 1:1 and i have some diffilcuties! Exceptionnal!

Reactions: Andy Smith

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Wow! I almost picked up a MPE-65 off ebay just a few weeks ago, stopped bidding at about 700 AUD, I dont even have a Canon to put it on unless you count the old Canon 30d I started shooting with but I still wanted it because it is still a legendary macro lens even after so many years of it being out and I would love to have it in my macro camera bag, I got a converter to put it on one my Sonys, you picked it up for a steal!

You went in straight for the hard stuff with all those hairs, i like it, no messing around 😂, I would see that stuff and found something else altogether, they are notoriusly hard to stack but you did well. My extreme macro experience is limited though so I will let others give you better advice on all that, personally i think its a pretty good effort for an early try on what is both a difficult subject and a very challenging type of macro. Well done 👍

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Wow! I almost picked up a MPE-65 off ebay just a few weeks ago, stopped bidding at about 700 AUD, I dont even have a Canon to put it on unless you count the old Canon 30d I started shooting with but I still wanted it because it is still a legendary macro lens even after so many years of it being out and I would love to have it in my macro camera bag, I got a converter to put it on one my Sonys, you picked it up for a steal!

You went in straight for the hard stuff with all those hairs, i like it, no messing around 😂, I would see that stuff and found something else altogether, they are notoriusly hard to stack but you did well. My extreme macro experience is limited though so I will let others give you better advice on all that, personally i think its a pretty good effort for an early try on what is both a difficult subject and a very challenging type of macro. Well done 👍
Thanks Chavezshutter, it was an exciting challenge to say the least and I am extremely pleased with the lens.

• Smiling Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Yohanna_D

Forum Mentor
Mentor
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Stunning shot, unbelievable how detailed this creature looks in your photo; it's the most repugnant insect in my life; I still believe humanity can live without it ;)
But gorgeous shot!

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Stunning shot, unbelievable how detailed this creature looks in your photo; it's the most repugnant insect in my life; I still believe humanity can live without it ;)
But gorgeous shot!
Hi Yohanna,
Thank you and I totally agree it is not a necessary bug to have around. It is one of the very few insects I have no problem killing before taking a photo.

Reactions: Yohanna_D