Your opinion? My first butterfly

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Iso 640 1/60 sec f/14

Ron Westbroek

1 2
Apr 21, 2020
Tip
Beautiful photo, but why an aperture of f / 14 if you set it to f / 3.5 your shutter speed is also high and you do not have to be so high in the iso and the background remains nice and blurry (bokeh)
If you then take the correct focus distance to the subject, the butterfly is also nicely sharp.

Bart the belgian

May 17, 2020
Tip
Beautiful photo, but why an aperture of f / 14 if you set it to f / 3.5 your shutter speed is also high and you do not have to be so high in the iso and the background remains nice and blurry (bokeh)
If you then take the correct focus distance to the subject, the butterfly is also nicely sharp.
Hello, i saw in différent tuto's that for à good macro with an aps-c the best f is between 14 and 16. For à fullfram betwe' 18 and 22. So that's why it's on f/14. For insectes I use a aps-c with a 90mm so in reality it's a 135 mm and I don't need to get to close.
Next time I try a lower f

D

Deleted member 250

Hi Bart the belgian Bart the belgian
For your first butterfly you have done very well.
You have sharp focus on the eye and your aperture has given you just enough dof.
there is some noise due to the iso but personally I would prefer a bit of noise that can be reduced in post to reducing the aperture and sacrificing the dof.
The colours are well saturated.
I would try a slight increase in exposure and some noise reduction.
Overall a good job.

Bart the belgian

May 17, 2020
Hi Bart the belgian Bart the belgian
For your first butterfly you have done very well.
You have sharp focus on the eye and your aperture has given you just enough dof.
there is some noise due to the iso but personally I would prefer a bit of noise that can be reduced in post to reducing the aperture and sacrificing the dof.
The colours are well saturated.
I would try a slight increase in exposure and some noise reduction.
Overall a good job.
Thank you Bill,

It's like I Always have à noise problem.

D

Deleted member 250

Bart the belgian Bart the belgian
Don`t worry we all have noise problems, we just work out the best way to deal with it in post.
I`m sure that there are tutorials on Youtube that will cover noise reduction with your chosen software.
If not and you need help, one of us will help to get you on the right track.
Do you shoot in raw or jpeg?

Bart the belgian

May 17, 2020
Bart the belgian Bart the belgian
Don`t worry we all have noise problems, we just work out the best way to deal with it in post.
I`m sure that there are tutorials on Youtube that will cover noise reduction with your chosen software.
If not and you need help, one of us will help to get you on the right track.
Do you shoot in raw or jpeg?
Hello,
I Always shoot in raw. For insectes with an aps-c and for flowers I shoot more with à full frame.

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
nice photo. If i may suggest, for butterfly photos, try and have the subject parallel to the sensor. That way you can have the full subject in focus and a nice fall off of the DoF. As for the noise problem I may suggest you post in the photo clinic along with a link to the raw photo and your description of your post so that our mentors may be able to guide you?