Landscape My first Star trails shots . -nightscapes new technique learning . Place Oulu, Finland . Have you tried this technique?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
An art of capturing stunning nature images. On the way that makes them unique and bring the viewer to the scene.
EXIF
7mm pro olympus, em10 markkIII Olympus

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hello ';)
I want to show you today My first stars trail shots, shooted in my very nice neighbor's garden from last saturday-sunday night View attachment 15304
A star trail is exciting a type of photograph that uses long exposure times to capture the apparent motion of stars in the night sky due to Earth's rotation. A star-trail photograph shows individual stars as streaks across the image, with longer exposures yielding longer arcs. ( with wikipedia's help) . it's exciting because is like macro photography, human's eye don't see it, and thanks of new technique we can discover our world form up too :love: :geek: , lot of macro photographers shoot nightscapes too because of this.. ;)

Exift: 7minuts long exposure, iso 200, f.2.8
next time i need to try longer exposure ;)

about the house on the picture:
Villa Hannala is a historic villa in Toppilansaari, Oulu, Finland. the villa was built in 1859 for the Snellman family. Decorations and a tower were added in the 1890s. After surviving the threat of demolition, the building became property of the city of Oulu. In 2004–2007 it was renovated by the adult educational centre of Oulu Polytechnic (Oulun Aikuiskoulutuskeskus). Today, the villa is almost fully restored. A café was established for visitors.

Have you tried this technique?

pictures especially for Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , Greg Greg , you need to try this technique! ;)
and MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie - because you shoot some of nightscapes, have you tried this technique? ;)

P9050009.jpg

P9060015.jpg

Attachments

• 1f609.png
    1f609.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Not bad ^^ next time 1 H picture lol

yes , i need to try longest exposure next time and find better place for it ;) :D .
you must to try it too Greg Greg , it's not hard, you need to just good tripod and in your camera sittings ''Live compostion'', and rest work camera take for you, and then just a little of editting , but I didn't needed lot with my pictures ;) and of course good place for it ;) and practic... :geek:

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo These are great! I always wanted to make star trials but I havent tried it yet. From what i know there are two ways to do star trials one is to take a long exposure single shot and the other is to take many shots with shorter intervals and under 1 second in between each shot, these can then be combined in photoshop or free software like DeepSkyStacker or Starstax. If you shoot with this second method you can also create a video timelapse. You can control the light and noise better with shorter exposures as well as avoiding hot pixels but you will need at least 50 shots (200 is better).

Which ever method you choose, i highly recommend taking one extra photo to expose only for the foreground (the house and lights) and using that to composite into the final image. I hope one day I get a chance to try star trail photos.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I never have dealt with that before and therefor it's interesting to read all this information. For sure I know a lot of pictures like that which looks amazing, but I never have asked myself about tne technique behind all this.

nataliaflejszar&Photo nataliaflejszar&Photo Not bad for the first try, but there much too much light polution and the pictures looks a bit tilted. Try to get more distance to the house or tree or whatever and check the spirit level. I think it needs some hours to get a picture with a complete star trail. So a huge effort for one picture but at the end it's worth it.

rcorteschile

Renato Cortés
Apr 11, 2020
Nice pic! I've done some milky way shots, but never tried this technique. As far as I know, there are two ways to do that: One very long exposure shot (ideally pointing to polar Star on the north hemisphere), or several let's say 20-30 secs shots (easier if you use a programmable remote control), then combine those pics with a program to get star trails. Ah, and a third way is to use camera program "star trail". I think Oly cameras have that.