Your opinion? My Super Model Pet Spider

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
This predator will come out for me during the day, and sit still for awhile. I feed him flies. LOL
Anyway, this is a set of 5 stacked photos. I can't seem to get the focus shot of the back of the spider to work out. When I try to auto blend the layers, that shot always messes up the forward focused areas because it is so much out of focus in the front. I hope that makes sense.
So, as you can see, the back area and leg of the spider had to remain out of focus because I couldn't use the shot that had them in focus without causing blurry areas and ghosting all over the image.
I used some saturation, dehaze, and darkened the blacks a little bit because I want that sparkly colorful web to stand out. Could be a bit sharper on the eyes. I might darken his hidey hole to give a bit more eeriness.
Critique and comments always welcomed.
Nikon D7100, 105mm manual focus, ISO 200, F/10, 1/125 sec., no flash, tripod, about 5 or 6 inches away from it.

Pet Spider-.jpg

Last edited:

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Nice shot, Tina Boes Tina Boes ! I like your portrayal about the spider with sparkling web, but for me personally, the front part is the most essential to get the focus, especially the eyes. But, it's always hard to stack small living creatures because they always move.
However, the way you arrange the elements in this photo are pleasant to enjoy by the eyes. šŸ˜ƒ

Dangerspouse

Aug 27, 2021
I agree with lovitazoe. It's an excellent shot (love the web!), and getting the head/eyes of a creature in sharp focus is paramount. Well done! Your post-processing here is also excellent. I hate when people over-sharpen, over-saturate, and overly contrast their images. This still looks natural. Love it.