Photography My usual Macro set up

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi all,
For those that find this interesting, this is my usual set up for indoor close up using the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x macro lens, coupled with the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT Flash unit. The flash is powered by Panasonic eneloop pro batteries and the macro rail is from Kirk Photo. I use a Canon remote shutter release so as not to wobble the rig when shooting, and manually turn the macro rail knob a few degrees between each shot.
I use a couple of third hand flexible tools to help keep backgrounds in place, and to help pose the subject with or without foliage.
Background images I print myself, usually just by extremely blurring images in photoshop and printing on photo paper.
My desk has a dark glass cover which I use also sometimes for images where I want a mirrored effect.
A very straightforward set up that works for me at the moment, even when I place the insect in a bottle cap on a rubiks cube :)
IMG_4515 Medium.jpeg IMG_4513 Medium.jpeg IMG_4514 Medium.jpeg

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You got there a proper Macro setup. Especially that the setup is next to the desk, very easy to get images from the camera.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
You got there a proper Macro setup. Especially that the setup is next to the desk, very easy to get images from the camera.
yes this seems to work for me Jack, I also have a small folding portable studio box with internal LED lights which fits on the desk nicely and can be used for product images and suchlike.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
yes this seems to work for me Jack, I also have a small folding portable studio box with internal LED lights which fits on the desk nicely and can be used for product images and suchlike.

Have you done much product photos? Regarding the studio box, have you made it yourself? I was thinking about buying one from amazon, but I'm slightly worried about the quality.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Have you done much product photos? Regarding the studio box, have you made it yourself? I was thinking about buying one from amazon, but I'm slightly worried about the quality.
I only do personal stuff to be honest, and a few old roman artifacts for a friend.
I just bought a cheap studio box online for $15 - The quality is actually very good for the price, and it also stops the breeze from the AC or electric fans I have blowing in the room if needed.

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 18.54.29.jpg

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I only do personal stuff to be honest, and a few old roman artifacts for a friend.
I just bought a cheap studio box online for $15 - The quality is actually very good for the price, and it also stops the breeze from the AC or electric fans I have blowing in the room if needed.

View attachment 24668

Not bad for the price. I had to zoom it to check the currency as I thought you have paid 550$ 😅

Reactions: Andy Smith

zarathu

Dec 29, 2022
Portable Three Wheel Macro Table : The table has an edge for attaching clamping gooseneck light which use big 85 watt led spots, but can use smaller ones. There is a 9 foot extension cord attached to the table. There are 2 extending arms that have four slots on the table for getting the light further away r in different angles. There are slots in the extending arms allowing them to be raised higher with attachments. The black background can be extended almost 6 feet away or only 2 feet away, and the straps on the back of it allow multiple positions. The top is black and has slots for various hold devices including holes for stems and different clamping devices. There is a shelf below for lenses and table attachments. The cart is on a three roller so that it is always level and can be moved easily to another room. Generally two 85watt LED bulbs are used, but they can be switched out for 40 watts.

Canon R5 is used on a tripod with IBIS switched off, and with remote shutter. An Irix 150mm macro manual focus lens is used. Because of the long focal length, a wide variety of extension tubes(up to 150 mm worth), a 2x teleconverter, and even a NiSi 2.5 diopter filter can be used all at once to get 5:1 enlargement capability.

I have an attachment for such things as salt which requires a glass surface extended about 8 inches above black. and I have two attachments with mini-ball heads for off camera flash for such things as water droplets, matches lighting, and smoke.

Attachments

• macro table.jpg
    macro table.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Love
Reactions: Andy Smith and Jack