Landscape Nepean National Park and The Dragon's Head

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
An art of capturing stunning nature images. On the way that makes them unique and bring the viewer to the scene.
EXIF
Sony a7iii, Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 lens, ISO 640, f/10, 5 second SS, Nisi filters

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have been quite busy since my last visit about 2 weeks ago. First I have a small legal issue which is beig resolved, hope to tell you more once it is sorted. Then i got involved in helping a neighbour improve his coffee van website, been doing some product photography with coffee and helping out with some SEO website stuff. Last Friday i managed to get away for the weekend to the beach, a beautiful spot south of Melbourne along the Mornington peninsula. This place is at the mouth of a large bay which reaches Melbourne from the south. I managed a good 3.5 hour walk to the tip of the peninsula, where the Point Nepean National Park is located and some old forts..

DSC06042.jpg
Nepean National Park, camera facing southeast along the peninsula, Port Phillip Bay which reaches Melbourne is on the left (calmer waters), Bass Strait which is open waters between Australia and Tasmania is on the right side (strong waves), only a single bus runs along this road, its closed to all other vehicles.

The main reason I was in this area and why i have posted this thread in the landscape section was to show this photo of a landmark rock along the peninsula called dragon's head. I was also testing a new filter kit I purchased recently

DSC05762.jpg
Sunrise at The Dragon's Head rock
DSC05674.jpg
Sunset at The Dragon's head rock

The rock is only visible during low tide.

This last shot I took near Sorrento Ocean beach, it is a gazebo lookout point which I used a torch to light up underneath before capturing it along with some stars, it was near full moon so not great for astro but i still like it, hope you like them as well.

DSC05581.jpg

Last edited:

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Ahhhh! Sensationell!!! Especially the first long exposure shot and the last pictures at night. Wow... that looks really professional!

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Ahhhh! Sensationell!!! Especially the first long exposure shot and the last pictures at night. Wow... that looks really professional!
Thank you very much Helix_2648 Helix_2648, I am still getting used to filter colours when editing and when to use which filter, i believe i had a circular polariser, a medium graduated filter for the sky and a 6 stop ND filter for longer exposure. I also experimented with avoiding iso from above 320 and up to 500 in order to use the lower signal to noise ratio found at iso 640, thats when the second ISO circuit kicks in with these dual ISO Sony sensors. Pretty good results so far. Thank you very much for your comments 🙏

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Nailed the light on Dragon's head! They look awesome!
I am happy how they turned out but a bit more colour in sky would have really made these special, something like yesterday's afternoon colours would have been awesome. We'll get more chances to visit it again soon :)

Greg Shchepanek

Greg
Monthly VIP
5 3 3
Apr 20, 2020
Wow ... wow ... wow !!! I could go one forever with your most brilliant eye & captures ❤️ :love: ❤️
I live in Nepean ... it sure doesn't look like that

Reactions: Chavezshutter