New camera

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bidoulou

Aug 10, 2021
Hello There, I'm new but get already a question. I'm french but gonna use EN to ask it (feel free to answer in your own language, I will translate :))
I'm owning actually a OMD EM1 (second hand) + OMD EM10 with several lenses (main used are 60mm macro, 45mm 1.8 and 12-40 pro). I'm coming from reflex world (canon 650D ASPC and nikon D90) and I wonder to change and switch to full frame as I would like to, on top of macro, make some nature shots (birds of game(prey)).
on top of that I would like to make macro and art (together) not macro pure anymore (I'm looking for a lovely bokeh which is hard to have with a m4/3) I could invest still in oly or pana lenses but not sure that olympus will continue anyway. I'm looking for a second hand camera(canon, nikon, sony alpha ...) which one could be a nice option with investing too much at the beginning (main invest will be for lenses anyway)

thank youuuuu (in advance) for your advices

Reactions: Natalie and Jack
Solution
Hello Bidoulou Bidoulou. I've done exactly the reverse from you. Passed from a Nikon d7200 to an Om-D e-m10 just because of the weight and also the crop factor of the sensor.
Everything depends on the way you want to express yourself through photography.
My way is juste to show how beautiful is Nature with a high magnification ratio on small subjetcs.
Using a flash, my background is usually black and all the attention of the reader is placed on the main subject.
Maybe, instead of changing your camera you should consider wide angle macro lens that allows you tu include more context in your macro shots and still have a good magnification ratio.
Loawa has nice ones but not sure that they've got for MFT sensor.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello Bidoulou Bidoulou .

A bit apologies for the late response here.

If you planning to buy a new camera, and you are not on budget, then definitely go for full frame, you can choose Canon RP mirror less body camera, and you still can use your Ef lenses on it. However , if you are on budget , you can go for canon m50 mk1 or mk2 , both great cameras.

I’m a canon user, and can’t say much about Olympus.
Probably our @Mentor might add more here.

Yohanna_D

Forum Mentor
Mentor
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Hello Bidoulou Bidoulou ,
First of all I am not an expert in technology and photo gear but here is what I humbly believe:
  • I've been a Canon person for over 11 years and haven't changed the brand (my husband is Nikon and I find this brand really good too - it's just that I'm not used to it), I've been really faithful to it. Every lens that I own is Canon or one that adapts to my camera. So I'll speak about Canon.
  • if you want to make wonderful photos I'm still a believer that what really matters is a good lens rather than the best camera in the world; I used to take photos with a basic reflex Canon 1000D and a quite ok-ish lens like Tamron for Canon - and I believe my photos were not garbage - cf. this picture

cox_1000D.JPG

• the eye and your approach on macro photography is an essential element in taking a photo; and if you are passionate about it (which I have no doubts about it) you will make gorgeous photos with a simple camera.
  • however, a full frame camera opens up the field of opportunities - you can crop more and still have an outstanding quality of photo.
  • you should take your time when choosing a second hand camera that has been well taken care of; not too many clicks if possible.
  • as for the lens, I use the 100mm Canon which is great and I believe that their entire macro range is really good.

To conclude, I believe that you and your vision on photography are going to be the main actors in creating wonderful shots; the gear and the photo sfotwares come far behind your approach.
I wish you will find what you want and wait for other @Mentor such as MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie or ZAMIR PENA ZAMIR PENA or lovitazoe lovitazoe, Helix_2648 Helix_2648 and so many others that have a more "poetical" approach on macro photography. So best of luck and keep us posted with your finds and especially with your photos; really looking forward to discovering your macro photos.

Have a good one.
Yohanna

Reactions: Jack

MinitecaPhotographie

Forum Mentor
Mentor
3 3 1
May 9, 2020
Hello Bidoulou Bidoulou. I've done exactly the reverse from you. Passed from a Nikon d7200 to an Om-D e-m10 just because of the weight and also the crop factor of the sensor.
Everything depends on the way you want to express yourself through photography.
My way is juste to show how beautiful is Nature with a high magnification ratio on small subjetcs.
Using a flash, my background is usually black and all the attention of the reader is placed on the main subject.
Maybe, instead of changing your camera you should consider wide angle macro lens that allows you tu include more context in your macro shots and still have a good magnification ratio.
Loawa has nice ones but not sure that they've got for MFT sensor.

Reactions: Yohanna_D and Jack
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.