New flash needed.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I returned my meike mk 320 flash because it wasn't working as it should be. I got a refund and now need to look for a new flash.
The flash will be used on a Sony a6400 with the Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x macro lens.
Which flash would you recommend? Budget is between 100 and 150 euro.

Solution
you should check amazon for a Godox TT685-S (113€) + a remote trigger X1T-S (44€). you could skip the trigger, but it can be useful at times.

there are also kits with both, the flash and the trigger, that could be a bit cheaper.

npshields

Nov 12, 2020
I have a softbox that i am going to try out first. If not satisfied with the result i know were to find the diffuser :)
I've been curious about these but wasn't sure what the benefit is, versus putting a diffuser on the flash; is it the distance from flash to diffuser? I shoot with Sony, too and Godox has some nice flash units.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I've been curious about these but wasn't sure what the benefit is, versus putting a diffuser on the flash; is it the distance from flash to diffuser? I shoot with Sony, too and Godox has some nice flash units.
I am not sure. I have to test it. Should be enough information to be found on youtube or google.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I got the flash this afternoon. Did put in the batteries and tried it out. Result is not good, the flash isn't firing every time i take a photo. Tried it out for about 45 minutes and it failed to fire every now and then. Wasn't recharging or anything, just no flash, even did not fire when previous shot was about 15 seconds ago. So it is going back to amazon. My neighbour wil print the label for me this evening or tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jack

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
that's weird. it's the version for Sony, isn't it?
I had a similar experience when trying to use my old Canon flash with my Sony camera, but since I got the Godox for Sony, I haven't had any problems.

well, truth be told, I have had problems with it, but of a different nature: the flash refused to fire when using it off-camera and too close to the remote trigger. it did that until I found that the trigger has a special (sort of hidden) mode to work at close range.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
that's weird. it's the version for Sony, isn't it?
I had a similar experience when trying to use my old Canon flash with my Sony camera, but since I got the Godox for Sony, I haven't had any problems.

well, truth be told, I have had problems with it, but of a different nature: the flash refused to fire when using it off-camera and too close to the remote trigger. it did that until I found that the trigger has a special (sort of hidden) mode to work at close range.
Yes it is the Sony version of the Godox TT685, the TT685s. Every few photos it just did not fire the flash. I am waiting for my neighbour to print me the return label for amazon and then i send it back. Now back to finding a new flash.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
what about the power? is this flash more powerful than the previous one? at least the experience could through more light in that regard (pun intended) :p

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
what about the power? is this flash more powerful than the previous one? at least the experience could through more light in that regard (pun intended) :p
The flash is more powerfull then the meike mk320. Guide number meike mk320 is 32 and the guide number of godox tt685s is 60. So almost twice the light punch

Status
Not open for further replies.