Want critique New to focus stacking part 2

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Nikon Z6
Nikon 105mm MC F/4
30 Image stack, 1 focal increment of movement for each slide.
ISO 800
1/20th second
F/6.3

Archivist

Jan 8, 2022
Hello I am looking for further critique on any component to the image, however my primary goal while creating this was focus stacking correctly.
I am using Helicon Focus to help with the post processing, in addition to Light Room for all of the remaining work.

Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Purple Stack (1 of 1).jpg
    Purple Stack (1 of 1).jpg
    711 KB · Views: 8

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Looks good! Nice job, light looks great and I like the background. Lots more detail in this one. The stack looks pretty clean, but there is a small section at the back which isn't in focus, a few extra frames and they should be good. Better to shoot the stack deeper and not use what you don't need than not to have the frames you need. You may or may not want to hide the metal bit down the bottom of the frame (i think its a clip holding the bud). Overall, a massive improvement since your last stack, very nicely done!

Reactions: lovitazoe

Archivist

Jan 8, 2022
Looks good! Nice job, light looks great and I like the background. Lots more detail in this one. The stack looks pretty clean, but there is a small section at the back which isn't in focus, a few extra frames and they should be good. Better to shoot the stack deeper and not use what you don't need than not to have the frames you need. You may or may not want to hide the metal bit down the bottom of the frame (i think its a clip holding the bud). Overall, a massive improvement since your last stack, very nicely done!
Is there a reliable approach to estimating how many frames you should use to cover the distance of the object? I can't tell how much the lens is moving for each stack, I just have "increments" and that is set to 1.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Is there a reliable approach to estimating how many frames you should use to cover the distance of the object? I can't tell how much the lens is moving for each stack, I just have "increments" and that is set to 1.
Hmmm, I believe we are talking about 2 different types of stacking. The stacking you seem to be referring to is done in camera - "Focus shift" is what Nikon calls it, this is done with the camera stationary and the camera then moves the focus over the subject while taking photos. Using the increment of 1 here gives you the smallest step possible between each focus point but a value of 1 has no real life value that you can measure. You could set the stack to only 2 shots and then shoot a ruler to try measure the focus step taken by the camera but this would change if you shot this with different working distances and apertures so not much point, DOF on the other hand can be calculated but this is not very helpful again as it does not correlate to that increment of 1 I mentioned earlier .......šŸ¤”šŸ˜• I say simply take extra shots, so instead of the 30 you took, take maybe 45 and then simply remove the shots that have nothing in focus. You will get better at judging the distances needed later.

For clarity I was actually referring in my first reply to stacking done via an automatic rail, where the camera's focus remains the same and the rail moves the camera through the subjects taking shots. This method is obviously different and requires buying more equipment so its much better for you to use your inbuilt focus shift function as mentioned above.