Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Your opinion? 

Noob wonders where he's going wrong with this moth

Still trying to get the hang of focus stacking. This is probably my most successful stack, with 10 images. Not sure if my problem is due to editing or the photography part, but there is some ghosting, especially at the tail end. It's difficult to get perfect alignment when there's wind blowing and a bug that moves. How do you usually deal with this sort of thing?

Obviously I wish I had more images for the foreground and background, but oh well.

mo.jpg

In Feb 2022, I bought myself my first "real" camera, and decided I wanted to learn photography. I've always loved taking pictures and composition with my mobile phone, figured I could get some better results with a real camera. Now that...
View all 3 featured items

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Nice shot scmkr, I find ghosting a challenge sometimes also, especially when shooting outdoors. I find different stacking softwares do better or worse at eliminating most of it. Which stacking software are you using?
I use a Canon R5 so I can shoot fast stacking bursts which helps, using the in camera focus stacking function, which automatically adjusts focus and shoots a set number of images.
Other than the I spend time in photoshop with the clone stamp tool :)

Reactions: scmkr

scmkr

3 1 2
May 5, 2022
Nice shot scmkr, I find ghosting a challenge sometimes also, especially when shooting outdoors. I find different stacking softwares do better or worse at eliminating most of it. Which stacking software are you using?
I use a Canon R5 so I can shoot fast stacking bursts which helps, using the in camera focus stacking function, which automatically adjusts focus and shoots a set number of images.
Other than the I spend time in photoshop with the clone stamp tool :)

Thank you. Good to know I'm not just doing something wrong :D

Reactions: Andy Smith

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Outdoor stacking could really be annoying and challenging if you've wind or clouds (different exposures within the stack). Your stack looks good so far but you'll get layer errors if you take the stack freehand or if the leafs wags back and forth. I use also Helicon Focus to render the stacks. But that's not a panacea...

Reactions: scmkr

scmkr

3 1 2
May 5, 2022
I wonder how all these people on instagram are doing it. There's lots of people that do freehand outdoor stacks and they look perfect!

weemadbeasties, tiny_tinas_teeny_tings are two examples. They post perfectly stacked photos almost every day. Both are using Helicon and both are doing it outside with live subjects