Now all of a sudden my cpu is not supported for windows 11

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Today i decided to completely reinstall windows on my laptop. It was running windows 11, but on my usb drive i had the installation files for windows 10. Installing it was not a problem. But then i decided to check for the upgrade to windows 11. Now comes the funny part. Before i did reinstall windows the laptop was running windows 11 just fine. Now it says it can not run windows 11 because the processor (intel i3) is not supported.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Today i decided to completely reinstall windows on my laptop. It was running windows 11, but on my usb drive i had the installation files for windows 10. Installing it was not a problem. But then i decided to check for the upgrade to windows 11. Now comes the funny part. Before i did reinstall windows the laptop was running windows 11 just fine. Now it says it can not run windows 11 because the processor (intel i3) is not supported.
Sounds like you are having a frustrating time at the moment with your laptop TMG1961, I feel your pain. One of the reasons I switched over to Mac was because of the continuous headaches with windows updates. I hope you manage to sort it out.

Reactions: TMG1961

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
We use to have a term when I was an IT person called "bleeding edge" , this term was used to describe computer users that had to have have the latest version of software they ran, its not a negative term, in fact quite the opposite - you want to have the latest version of security, drivers, and software version that are stable, where you dont want to be bleeding edge is when you are upgrading from one operating system to another, its actually a pretty big and sometimes risky thing to do. Let the bugs get found out and let someone else do the beta testing and then see about upgrading later, at least thats my approach.

I can only speculate on why your seeing this issue now. All the information online I see says the i3 7gen processor are not supported by windows 11, there is mention that it is possible to do a clean install ( upgrade from 10 to 11 is not possible like you were able to 🤷‍♂️) of windows 11 on some 7gen machines but then windows updates will not work so you would running unsupported which is no good for a new OS. Seems to me they may have found too many issues with the 7gen processor and are now doing checks and not allowing installations with this processor but thats just my guess. Annoying situation, specially since you had windows 11 running but what can you do? Even if you managed to get it running now youre running a pretty new OS that is going to need security and stability patches that you cant download. Stay with Windows 10, at least for while longer I would say.

I am staying on windows 10 myself, at least for another year, it has support until 2025

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Sounds like you are having a frustrating time at the moment with your laptop TMG1961, I feel your pain. One of the reasons I switched over to Mac was because of the continuous headaches with windows updates. I hope you manage to sort it out.
I am still keeping the option to completely switch over to apple in mind. Installing windows again is not a big deal, should know how to do that as a former IT professional.

We use to have a term when I was an IT person called "bleeding edge" , this term was used to describe computer users that had to have have the latest version of software they ran, its not a negative term, in fact quite the opposite - you want to have the latest version of security, drivers, and software version that are stable, where you dont want to be bleeding edge is when you are upgrading from one operating system to another, its actually a pretty big and sometimes risky thing to do. Let the bugs get found out and let someone else do the beta testing and then see about upgrading later, at least thats my approach.

I can only speculate on why your seeing this issue now. All the information online I see says the i3 7gen processor are not supported by windows 11, there is mention that it is possible to do a clean install ( upgrade from 10 to 11 is not possible like you were able to 🤷‍♂️) of windows 11 on some 7gen machines but then windows updates will not work so you would running unsupported which is no good for a new OS. Seems to me they may have found too many issues with the 7gen processor and are now doing checks and not allowing installations with this processor but thats just my guess. Annoying situation, specially since you had windows 11 running but what can you do? Even if you managed to get it running now youre running a pretty new OS that is going to need security and stability patches that you cant download. Stay with Windows 10, at least for while longer I would say.

I am staying on windows 10 myself, at least for another year, it has support until 2025

I guess you are right because i did the upgrade from within windows the last time and all components of the laptop were good to run windows 11. And it did run it, at the beginning just 8gb of ram but for windows itself that was not a problem.

It is no problem to stay with windows 10, it works fine on the laptop and with the extra 8gb of ram it runs smoother. So after a good nights rest i decided that i just keep windows 10 running untill i get a new laptop, and then i decide if it is going to be windows or ios.

Installing windows again is not a big deal, should know how to do that as a former IT professional.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I am still keeping the option to completely switch over to apple in mind. Installing windows again is not a big deal, should know how to do that as a former IT professional.

I guess you are right because i did the upgrade from within windows the last time and all components of the laptop were good to run windows 11. And it did run it, at the beginning just 8gb of ram but for windows itself that was not a problem.

It is no problem to stay with windows 10, it works fine on the laptop and with the extra 8gb of ram it runs smoother. So after a good nights rest i decided that i just keep windows 10 running untill i get a new laptop, and then i decide if it is going to be windows or ios.

Installing windows again is not a big deal, should know how to do that as a former IT professional.
Had no idea you did IT, I was wondering how you were messing around with RAM chips earlier, that explains it, good stuff 👍

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
aah good old windows, they like to mess around and keep us on our toes 😂, that upgrade button needs are you really sure, feeling lucky? message.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
aah good old windows, they like to mess around and keep us on our toes 😂, that upgrade button needs are you really sure, feeling lucky? message.
Well Microsoft is not sure what it wants. I downloaded the pchealthcheck and that says my laptop does not meet the requirements for windows 11, the cpu is not supported (i3 7th gen). Always good for a laugh microsoft. I keep windows 10 on the laptop and microsoft can keep windows 11untill the laptop retires.

• Haha
Reactions: Chavezshutter