Your opinion? Peacock (Aglais io)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Canon EOS 90D
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM
Aperture: 10
Shutter speed: 1/250
ISO: 200
Neewer NW680/TT680 with diffusor

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
I found this little guy on one of my last trips and I thinks it's worth to show it to you.

View attachment 6222

Hallo Helix_2648 Helix_2648 , this picture is very beautiful and yeah, it's worth everything :love: 🙏 ,thanks for sharing with us!!
The butterfly is nicely sharp and in central of the picture, so I know strightly what you want to show me with the picture! , position of the butterfly is great, so you took the picture in right moment, the colours are lovely and the pastel, soft atmospher on the picture.. , Top ten shot! 🙏:love:

• Love
Reactions: Helix_2648 and Jack

Yohanna_D

Forum Mentor
Mentor
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
Wonderful shot with all those details. Well done!
I might have some ideas to share with you if you allow me:
Now I understand why your shots are different from mine:
your aperture is quite small f/10 so you're looking for details; whereas my aperture is quite big - wide open and so little details and a more uniform bokeh.
For the view: you were a bit above your butterfly in order to have it with the wings open, and have as many details as possible; were you lying down? were you on your knees? were you standing up?
Most of my shots are taken while I am on the belly, horizontal position; if you shoot those insects at the same hight as theirs, you will have other backgrounds.
What time of the day was this photo taken? one of the flowers is a bit bright and that indicates me that it was not necessarily in the evening.
However, this photo has a huge potential and it looks marvellous.

• Love
Reactions: Helix_2648 and Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Thank you do much Yohanna_D Yohanna_D fir your kind words! And yes you're fully right. I use f/8 - f/10 because of the details / DOF because I want to have to whole butterfly with it's beauty in focus. I fully agree that f/2.8 would cause a musxh better and smoother background. I took this picture in upright position because the thistle wasnalready a high as my belly. I leaned a bit forward to come closer but I was above the butterfly.

And yes you're right with your guessed time. It was about 2pm. Unfortunately I don't have time in the evening because we have mostly dinner at 19:00. And after that we relax at bit outside. So I usually don't go out anymore to take pictures. Maybe I can use the evening where my gf has night shift.

It's interesting for me to be able to find all these insects sitting there and are a bit more relaxed.

I think I'm sometimes more a scientist than an artist. 🤔

Reactions: Yohanna_D

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Thank you very much. It's one of my favorites and also one of the biggest butterflies in the area