Begginer Phone lens attachment or camera with lens

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

lauraj

May 3, 2021
Hi all, I'm ready to get better equipment than just my phone however I'm lost on whether I should just get a lens to attach to my Samsung s21 or if I should go for a camera I understand that my phone is more practical and easier but I think I'm ready for a camera but I have no idea what camera would be best for macro photography I don't have the money to buy a high end camera and would like something easy to use that gives great results. If anyone could suggest any equipment that would be appreciated as I truly want to broaden my hobby

Reactions: lovitazoe and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello lauraj lauraj . I will definitely recommend to go for camera with lens. You will get more and learn more than doing phone photography.

You could get a decent camera for no more than $500 and probably the same for a macro lens.
I would recommend the Canon M50 Mk1, very small , light and also is not heavy. You also can get 100mm lens , non L version for around $500-600.

You won’t regret buying a camera for photography.

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
Hi lauraj lauraj , i don't really update with type of cameras and their prices. But i agree with Jack Jack that you won't regret to buy a camera, especially to broaden your hobby. The sharpness and the depth of field of your photo will be more satisfying than using phone with lens attachment.
I used to use phone with lens attachment before I had a camera. Now i'm using both.

Reactions: lauraj and Jack

Greg

Legend TEAM
3 1
May 22, 2020
I don't find macro lens for my phone (oneplus 6T), but I really wan't to get one ... It's too hard to find because the lens on the back is on the middle and not on a corner ... I saw some macro picture taken with phone + macro lens, and the result is very good and interesting, because i don't take my camera with me all the time, but my phone, yes :)

Reactions: lauraj and Jack

lauraj

May 3, 2021
Hello lauraj lauraj . I will definitely recommend to go for camera with lens. You will get more and learn more than doing phone photography.

You could get a decent camera for no more than $500 and probably the same for a macro lens.
I would recommend the Canon M50 Mk1, very small , light and also is not heavy. You also can get 100mm lens , non L version for around $500-600.

You won’t regret buying a camera for photography.
Thanks for the advice Jack, I'm just looking it up and the lens looks to be on average $1300 aud bit out of my comfort zone at this stage is that really the most affordable lens?

lauraj

May 3, 2021
Hi lauraj lauraj , i don't really update with type of cameras and their prices. But i agree with Jack Jack that you won't regret to buy a camera, especially to broaden your hobby. The sharpness and the depth of field of your photo will be more satisfying than using phone with lens attachment.
I used to use phone with lens attachment before I had a camera. Now i'm using both.
How long were you using a phone attachment before you got a camera?

Reactions: lovitazoe

lauraj

May 3, 2021
I don't find macro lens for my phone (oneplus 6T), but I really wan't to get one ... It's too hard to find because the lens on the back is on the middle and not on a corner ... I saw some macro picture taken with phone + macro lens, and the result is very good and interesting, because i don't take my camera with me all the time, but my phone, yes :)
That's a good point, I'm honestly really considering getting both but a phone lens first I just thought If I'm investing in a phone lens I might as well go all out for the camera just not sure what my move should be

Reactions: Jack

lovitazoe

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 3 1
Feb 21, 2021
I am using phone attachment since 2012 and I just got my first camera on 2016. Back then, the first macro lens phone I had was Osin lens clip kit but the quality was very bad 😂, then changed to lens assembly, even though the result was clear but the vignette was disturbing, now I am using Xenvo pro lens kit.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
i would definitely recommend to go for a camera. You will get more from it. Don't forget, that the quality of the images taken with camera will be higher than images taken with phone, no matter what lens will be clipped on.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
A lens attachment for my phone would (and was) never an option for me. Ok... the pictures are not bad if you see them on the smartphone screen but you'll change your mind if you see them on a 24" monitor.

A Canon M50 with a Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM is really affordable as the lens costs about 300 Euros. Or buy a used DSLR like the the 80D (which is an awesome DSLR!) for 550-600€ and a use 60mm EF-S macro lens for about 250€.

Reactions: Jack and lauraj