Photography Photographing insects inside/controlled environment

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Duzzy

May 15, 2022
Hi there,

does anyone take insects inside to photograph them in a controlled stable environment?

regards Duzzy

Reactions: Jack

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I do sometimes Duzzy, I have an old plastic box that i put them in along with some foliage. Then drop them in the fridge for a while before shooting to cool them down and make them more docile. I usually shoot outdoors though, but sometimes I see an insect and aren't prepared with my camera, or have no time to go grab it, so i take the insect for shooting later.
I know some folk who kill them before imaging so they have full control, but I prefer not to do this.

Reactions: Jack

MinitecaPhotographie

Forum Mentor
Mentor
3 3 1
May 9, 2020
Hi
Sometimes I capture during the day some cuckoo wasp and wait until sunrise to shoot them because as soon as the sun get down it's time to sleep for them and you can easily take them on you hand for half an hour without they try to fly away....just trying to find a nice place to sleep.
I've always on me a little box to capture jumping spiders I can meet during the day because I'm not wearing my camera all the time...lol

Reactions: Andy Smith and Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Hi Duzzy Duzzy , I don't do insects, but for I believe some insects you can take inside to photograph, you may need a special glass box for that.

I know some members here who does insects might able to give you a better advice

MinitecaPhotographie MinitecaPhotographie
Ron Westbroek Ron Westbroek
Helix_2648 Helix_2648
I never thought about to take insects with me, but it#s an interesting idea. Especially to put them in a fridge to cool them down a bit. I think I'll give a try! Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: Andy Smith

rjalil

1 1
Apr 9, 2022
I do plenty of insect photoshoots in controlled environments in my DIY diffuser boxes, For slow-moving and nonflying insects I do not need any pre-treatment, But for jumping spiders, flies, and bees I need to put the in the freezer for a couple of minutes they allow me another couple of minutes for quick snaps.

Reactions: Jack and Andy Smith