Begginer Photographing water drops

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member opened a beginner discussion, do give the best advice and tips regarding the topic subject.

Craigo79

Jan 17, 2022
Hello everyone. Didn't want to go off topic on members threads, and decided to create general discussion one here.

How easy to take images or water drops?

We can discuss here Craigo79 Craigo79 , probably Y3ll0www Y3ll0www can add some tips as well.

With a camera :D But seriously if anyone has any questions happy to help. Might be able to get a few other droppers in on this also.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
With a camera :D But seriously if anyone has any questions happy to help. Might be able to get a few other droppers in on this also.
Obviously with a camera šŸ˜…. Definitely do please. I know we had one member here, he used to share water droplets pictures as well. Sadly he is not active for a year now.

And I think Tina Boes Tina Boes has some lovely water drops pictures as well.

I think doing water drops pictures aren't that easy as others, example flowers or insects.

Craigo79

Jan 17, 2022
Obviously with a camera šŸ˜…. Definitely do please. I know we had one member here, he used to share water droplets pictures as well. Sadly he is not active for a year now.

And I think Tina Boes Tina Boes has some lovely water drops pictures as well.

I think doing water drops pictures aren't that easy as others, example flowers or insects.
I just seen Tina'a work it is nice. Learning how to use a dropper can be daunting and what makes it even more difficult is that you start out with no idea (most of us) on how the droplets form. Like for instance a Goblet shape is formed by sending down a large drop that creates a thick worthington jet. If you go too far with the drop size your drop will split into 2 drops and then send up a tall thin jet but unless we watch slow motion videos on this we will have no clue.. In the beginning sometimes we will fluke a shot but have no idea how it was achieved haha. To create a bubble jet we need to understand its a large drop from a large diameter nozzle that makes a certain popping sound when it hits the surface of the water creates a bubble under the surface and comes back up with a jet in the middle. You can see all of this here in this video. I discovered these after I had already learned a little bit and wish I found them at the start.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I tried drop photography back when I started macro, in my first attempt I tried it without flash but was unhappy with the results, after I bought my flash I tried it again and I got some decent shots but it was early in my photography journey and I havent tried it again since. I used a plastic bag and made a small hole in it, lot of splashing and got a bit messy but it was fun and I got some pretty cool shots, may have to revisit again soon.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I just seen Tina'a work it is nice. Learning how to use a dropper can be daunting and what makes it even more difficult is that you start out with no idea (most of us) on how the droplets form. Like for instance a Goblet shape is formed by sending down a large drop that creates a thick worthington jet. If you go too far with the drop size your drop will split into 2 drops and then send up a tall thin jet but unless we watch slow motion videos on this we will have no clue.. In the beginning sometimes we will fluke a shot but have no idea how it was achieved haha. To create a bubble jet we need to understand its a large drop from a large diameter nozzle that makes a certain popping sound when it hits the surface of the water creates a bubble under the surface and comes back up with a jet in the middle. You can see all of this here in this video. I discovered these after I had already learned a little bit and wish I found them at the start.

Thanks a lot for the information Craigo79 Craigo79 . Really useful information. I was thinking once to try water droplets in the bath šŸ˜‚, but gave up with the idea, sounded stupid. Requires extra equipment and a bit of set up for it, like you had shared yours in one of the threads.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I tried drop photography back when I started macro, in my first attempt I tried it without flash but was unhappy with the results, after I bought my flash I tried it again and I got some decent shots but it was early in my photography journey and I havent tried it again since. I used a plastic bag and made a small hole in it, lot of splashing and got a bit messy but it was fun and I got some pretty cool shots, may have to revisit again soon.
I bet you had some fun and made a bit of mess as well šŸ˜….

• Grinning Face
Reactions: Chavezshutter