Photography of ants ... need some suggestions on how to enhance magnification

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
Hello @all
I just started with Macro, I use Olympus M5 II and Macro lens 60 mm...but I already figured that you have to come close in 1:1 and it is not that easy when following moving subjects - like ants- which I want to photograph more. Does anyone have an idea how to best enhance this equip, like using something additional ( extension tubes or some magnifying thing in front of lens additionally? does this exist ?) or use another lens in reverse? What do you use to follow little living creatures?
I also have a Canon 6D, but no macro lens for it ( yet). I guess the 100 mm lens is the one to get...
Here an example of one ant today. I followed it while having the camera on a tripod, it was running along on the edge of my garden table.
Still, I'd like to have some easier gear for handheld shots. I'd be happy to hear your ideas and tips. My wish: a set up I can easily run around with and enjoy ;)
( image: f 4, ISO 400, 1/100 s)

Attachments

• ant_eye_to_eye_web50%.jpg
    ant_eye_to_eye_web50%.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 5

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
try a macro lens with a flash attached to the dslr body. go above F20....shutter>= 320. ISO 100.
Shoot handheld, and focus at the eyes. All the best đź‘Ť

Reactions: Jack

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
try a macro lens with a flash attached to the dslr body. go above F20....shutter>= 320. ISO 100.
Shoot handheld, and focus at the eyes. All the best đź‘Ť
I see, so not possible without flash then...I mean f 20 does not spit out very good quality on my system, a lot diffraction. Up to f 13 max is still acceptable, but better max 11, so between 8 to 11.
In my example I was photographing in the shadows, so high ISO and wider aperture, as I had no flash.
On the other hand, I do not really want to stress the poor insects with a flash...hmmm?
No idea about the flash, I will do some research and about different lenses with extension tubes...youtube my best friend ...just want to magnify the result, I like small DOF

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I see, so not possible without flash then...I mean f 20 does not spit out very good quality on my system, a lot diffraction. Up to f 13 max is still acceptable, but better max 11, so between 8 to 11.
In my example I was photographing in the shadows, so high ISO and wider aperture, as I had no flash.
On the other hand, I do not really want to stress the poor insects with a flash...hmmm?
No idea about the flash, I will do some research and about different lenses with extension tubes...youtube my best friend ...just want to magnify the result, I like small DOF

I know what you are saying, but without a flash will be very hard to get good results. Also if you will have high ISO , you will have noise on your pictures which isn’t nice. So definitely get a flash , check amazon or eBay, you can find very affordable flashes. After you can get a diffuser too.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
Hello @all
I just started with Macro, I use Olympus M5 II and Macro lens 60 mm...but I already figured that you have to come close in 1:1 and it is not that easy when following moving subjects - like ants- which I want to photograph more. Does anyone have an idea how to best enhance this equip, like using something additional ( extension tubes or some magnifying thing in front of lens additionally? does this exist ?) or use another lens in reverse? What do you use to follow little living creatures?
I also have a Canon 6D, but no macro lens for it ( yet). I guess the 100 mm lens is the one to get...
Here an example of one ant today. I followed it while having the camera on a tripod, it was running along on the edge of my garden table.
Still, I'd like to have some easier gear for handheld shots. I'd be happy to hear your ideas and tips. My wish: a set up I can easily run around with and enjoy ;)
( image: f 4, ISO 400, 1/100 s)

Hi SonjaD SonjaD ,
I have the same macro lens like you and Olympus camera (Omd mark em -10III)

Here we have we created the discussion about Olympus equipments, link for them is here:

I used for my macro shoots LED- ring macro , that work well, and from two month I have used two ring tubs for the lens, I think we can discuss more about on the Olympus subforum, come there :)

Reactions: SonjaD and Jack

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
I know what you are saying, but without a flash will be very hard to get good results. Also if you will have high ISO , you will have noise on your pictures which isn’t nice. So definitely get a flash , check amazon or eBay, you can find very affordable flashes. After you can get a diffuser too.
yes, I have a flash now, but got to figure out how to use it best ...not used to it (yet)

SonjaD

Apr 16, 2020
Hi SonjaD SonjaD ,
I have the same macro lens like you and Olympus camera (Omd mark em -10III)

Here we have we created the discussion about Olympus equipments, link for them is here:

I used for my macro shoots LED- ring macro , that work well, and from two month I have used two ring tubs for the lens, I think we can discuss more about on the Olympus subforum, come there :)
hello thank you for this.
Yes, was thinking of a ring, but it is in my way outdoors. I got now a Godox flash with trigger, but need to work myself into best set up now. Will have a look, cheers