Your opinion? Pupa - The magic box (Just pupated)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EXIF
f32, 1/320, iso100

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
This is the third stage of the butterfly life cycle. This is called a Pupa. This is the intermediate stage between the caterpillar and the butterfly. The two life stages of caterpillar and butterfly are so totally different, and its inside the pupa that the change takes place. There is partial liquification and re-engineering and remoulding. However all the signals and circuits for the parts of a butterfly are already carried on from the egg itself, its just a question of using that as a blueprint to make a butterfly.

Though the pupa looks like this immobile inert thing, there is so much life going on inside it!

Even in the photo you can make out the "die" for the antenna, the wings, the eye and the palpi.

Questions and clarifications are always welcome :)

As photographs go, yes there is a dof problem mainly because it had pupated on the side of a round plastic container and I could not really go parallel to it.

mormon cat freshly pupated-shan-200622-3897.jpg

Shan

Apr 12, 2020
I think I haven’t seen this image before, but yes, I do understand what you mean. By the way, is that true that butterflies are living only 1 day ? You might know better then me such of information.
average normal life span can range from 5 days to months (they can also hibernate at any stage of their lives, you know). However due to extreme predation, and the fact that the butterflies are at the bottom of the food chain, very few butterflies do have a normal death.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
average normal life span can range from 5 days to months (they can also hibernate at any stage of their lives, you know). However due to extreme predation, and the fact that the butterflies are at the bottom of the food chain, very few butterflies do have a normal death.

Alright, I guess also depending on the environment they live too.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
This is the third stage of the butterfly life cycle. This is called a Pupa. This is the intermediate stage between the caterpillar and the butterfly. The two life stages of caterpillar and butterfly are so totally different, and its inside the pupa that the change takes place. There is partial liquification and re-engineering and remoulding. However all the signals and circuits for the parts of a butterfly are already carried on from the egg itself, its just a question of using that as a blueprint to make a butterfly.

Though the pupa looks like this immobile inert thing, there is so much life going on inside it!

Even in the photo you can make out the "die" for the antenna, the wings, the eye and the palpi.

Questions and clarifications are always welcome :)

As photographs go, yes there is a dof problem mainly because it had pupated on the side of a round plastic container and I could not really go parallel to it.

View attachment 5353

for me no bad picture, nice for an eye, nice lightin and I like the DOF on the picture, and colours, and the description make the picture still more intresting.. :) good job Shan Shan ;)

Reactions: Shan
Status
Not open for further replies.