Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

Greg Shchepanek

Greg
Monthly VIP
5 3 3
Apr 20, 2020
Quartz is a chemical compound consisting of one part silicon and two parts oxygen. It is silicon dioxide (SiO2). It is the most abundant mineral found at Earth's surface, and its unique properties make it one of the most useful natural substances.
IMG_9512_ds.jpg
Canon EOS M100 • EF-M28mm f/3.5 MACRO IS STM • ƒ/4.0 28.0 mm 1/60 1600 Flash (off, did not fire)

A-PeeR

Jan 23, 2021
I like this image Greg and I really like the subject matter. I used to collect Quartz as a kid and would stare into it endlessly. My eyes following the fractures veining through the crystal. Holding them up to the light rotating and observing refractions, fantastic stuff. I believe this is a critique post so if I may.... If it were me I would address the out of focus area at the bottom of the rock. The other thing I would consider is a black card right of the subject to damp the illumination on that facet to give the subject a better 3D feel. Not sure how effective that will be given the translucence, that said one could always knock down exposure on that side in post, So many potential aspects with this subject, I would revisit it over and over again. I hope you do, it will be fun to follow...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Greg Shchepanek

Greg Shchepanek

Greg
Monthly VIP
5 3 3
Apr 20, 2020
I like this image Greg and I really like the subject matter. I used to collect Quartz as a kid and would stare into it endlessly. My eyes following the fractures veining through the crystal. Holding them up to the light rotating and observing refractions, fantastic stuff. I believe this is a critique post so if I may.... If it were me I would address the out of focus area at the bottom of the rock. The other thing I would consider is a black card right of the subject to damp the illumination on that facet to give the subject a better 3D feel. Not sure how effective that will be given the translucence, that said one could always knock down exposure on that side in post, So much potential aspects with this subject, I would revisit it over and over again. I hope you, it will be fun to follow...
Wow thank you so much for the great advice and insights, love the idea for a better 3D feel I must try this out.

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I like it as well Greg Shchepanek Greg Shchepanek and I think that a lot of us collected such minerals as we were kids. It's a good motif to play with contrasts because of the small cracks inside of the quartz and the soft translucent structure.

• Love
Reactions: Greg Shchepanek