raw vs jpeg

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I normally shoot in raw only. But today i did shoot raw+jpeg. Jpeg settings Large + standard creative style. I always noticed that the raw files needed some work when they were imported into lightroom, they did not look like the out of the camera jpeg files. But today after importing all the photos i could not tell without looking at the files extension which was which.
These 2 photos are unedited exports from lightroom, one of them is the exported raw file, the other is the exported jpeg file. i only resized them in photoshop, nothing else done to them. I can not tell which is which (i know but can not say here)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Solution
there's an easy test: set the creative style to monochrome and the camera to RAW+JPG, take a shot and import it to LR.

• if the RAW file is a colored image, then there's no problem at all.
  • if the RAW file is a b/w image, give some time to LR to fully load the image, as LR shows the embedded JPG thumbnail inside the RAW file and then it processes the RAW and shows its own version. your new RAW files are 42MP and much bigger than the ones from the A6400 or the Nikon were. it may take several seconds for this process to finish.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I am starting to believe that my camera might be the problem and that it is not shooting raw anymore but jpegs instead. Even though the file says raw and it is 85Mb in size. I tried several programs and they all show me a raw file that looks almost identical to the jpeg of the same photo.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Creative styles are just filters applied to in-camera display and to jpg.

Creative styles affect the way the photo looks in the viewfinder and the JPG itself (but not in standard creative mode, see below)but it does not affect the RAW file. If i set my creative style to b&w, i see b&w in the viewfinder before i shoot, i see b&w when i review the shot, I also get a b&w JPG but my raw file is a normal colour raw photo file.

Standard creative style by default will not change anything between the JPG and the RAW, it SHOULD produce 2 identical looking files , one RAW and another JPG. Try something like Vivid creative style or b&w which WILL change the JPG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
I always keep in mind that whenever I am looking at a raw file either in camera or an external program like Lightroom, photoshop or another raw viewer program - I am never looking at the raw file but a graphical extraction of the raw file ( most likely jpg). This is because in order to meaningfully create an image from a raw file you need a number of parameters which need to be determined by the program or camera in order to show you an image. It is these parameters which you are tweaking when you use creative styles from a Sony camera, they change how the image is viewed in camera and the jpg that it produces. The same parameters are what we are changing when we edit a raw file in Lightroom. We see images (jpg,tiffs,gifs,etc) we cant see raw until they are converted to an image.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Creative styles are just filters applied to in-camera display and to jpg.

Creative styles affect the way the photo looks in the viewfinder and the JPG itself (but not in standard creative mode, see below)but it does not affect the RAW file. If i set my creative style to b&w, i see b&w in the viewfinder before i shoot, i see b&w when i review the shot, I also get a b&w JPG but my raw file is a normal colour raw photo file.

Standard creative style by default will not change anything between the JPG and the RAW, it SHOULD produce 2 identical looking files , one RAW and another JPG. Try something like Vivid creative style or b&w which WILL change the JPG.
But i never had 2 identical looking files. The raw file always was a bit flatter, duller then the jpeg file. I shoot 99% of the time raw but i would like to understand why al of a sudden i see the raw files different on my laptop.

Have you tried to open the file with normal image software?

I tried adobe LR and Photoshop, corel paintshop and aftershot, faststone image viewer, rawtherapee, darktable. They all show the same. I tried 3 different sd cards, tried copy the files to internal or external harddrive first before importing or viewing them. All the same result.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Put these in identical images on a separate folder, right click>properties and click details. See what's says on there, especially pay attention if that jpg file or raw.

If still the same, the last resort is to check your camera settings, or go to a camera repair shop and see if something is wrong.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Put these in identical images on a separate folder, right click>properties and click details. See what's says on there, especially pay attention if that jpg file or raw.

If still the same, the last resort is to check your camera settings, or go to a camera repair shop and see if something is wrong.
I checked and all the info is exact the same. Only difference is the file size and the extension .raw or .jpg
Going to reset camera and then do some test shots to see what that brings. I tried 3 different sd cards and also different creative style for the jpeg file but still the raw file looks almost identical to the jpeg.

Going to reset camera to factory default and try again.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I did reset the camera to factory default and took some new photos. Still all raw and jpeg files look almost identical. Even when shooting in auto mode.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I have noticed something strange. When i look at the uploaded photos on my laptop i see almost no difference between the raw and jpeg file. But when i click on them in my google drive the preview of both files do show a significant difference between the raw and jpeg file.

So guess the problem could be on my computer. But not sure what that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.