raw vs jpeg

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I normally shoot in raw only. But today i did shoot raw+jpeg. Jpeg settings Large + standard creative style. I always noticed that the raw files needed some work when they were imported into lightroom, they did not look like the out of the camera jpeg files. But today after importing all the photos i could not tell without looking at the files extension which was which.
These 2 photos are unedited exports from lightroom, one of them is the exported raw file, the other is the exported jpeg file. i only resized them in photoshop, nothing else done to them. I can not tell which is which (i know but can not say here)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Solution
there's an easy test: set the creative style to monochrome and the camera to RAW+JPG, take a shot and import it to LR.

• if the RAW file is a colored image, then there's no problem at all.
  • if the RAW file is a b/w image, give some time to LR to fully load the image, as LR shows the embedded JPG thumbnail inside the RAW file and then it processes the RAW and shows its own version. your new RAW files are 42MP and much bigger than the ones from the A6400 or the Nikon were. it may take several seconds for this process to finish.

oscar118

Aug 6, 2021
I downloaded your dsc000003.* files. Iimporting in Lightroom and inspecting at 100%, the raw looks a bit noisier and sharper, and colours are a bit different. Left: raw, right: jpg. Differences are indeed hard to to notice at normal size. compare..jpg

Reactions: TMG1961 and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I did reset the camera to factory default and took some new photos. Still all raw and jpeg files look almost identical. Even when shooting in auto mode.

But that's how they should look TMG1961 TMG1961 ,unless I'm wrong. The jpg file is just a copy of raw file. Is like you'd copy the picture from one hard drive to another, there shouldn't be any differences between them.

oscar118

Aug 6, 2021
But that's how they should look TMG1961 TMG1961 ,unless I'm wrong. The jpg file is just a copy of raw file. Is like you'd copy the picture from one hard drive to another, there shouldn't be any differences between them.
The JPG is an in-camera processed RAW, the camera will usually reduce noise, adjust white balance, slightly enhance contrast, sharpen and compress the image. The degree of processing depends of your settings. They should NOT look the same. JPG is "ready to be printed/looked at", raw is "as the sensor captured". And JPG compression is NOT lossless.

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The JPG is an in-camera processed RAW, the camera will usually reduce noise, adjust white balance, slightly enhance contrast, sharpen and compress the image. The degree of processing depends of your settings. They should NOT look the same. JPG is "ready to be printed/looked at", raw is "as the sensor captured". And JPG compression is NOT lossless.

I will have to test it myself. As far as I know, there shouldn't be difference between them. But also depends on camera as well I guess.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Have you tried other softwares?
I tried and the same result. Not going to investigate any further as i believe that it is not a software but hardware problem and not going to do anything about it. Not looking into being without a camera again for weeks.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
I tried and the same result. Not going to investigate any further as i believe that it is not a software but hardware problem and not going to do anything about it. Not looking into being without a camera again for weeks.

As long as there is not affected the image quality, should be OK. I also would suggest you to set the camera on a tripod, set it to Manual and try to get 2 pictures 1 raw and 1 jph with same settings, and see if there's any difference.

Reactions: TMG1961

oscar118

Aug 6, 2021
I do not think there is any problem. The raw files are very big, so the viewer software is probably compressing and sampling the file..., and the differences are masked in the process.

Reactions: TMG1961 and Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.