raw vs jpeg

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I normally shoot in raw only. But today i did shoot raw+jpeg. Jpeg settings Large + standard creative style. I always noticed that the raw files needed some work when they were imported into lightroom, they did not look like the out of the camera jpeg files. But today after importing all the photos i could not tell without looking at the files extension which was which.
These 2 photos are unedited exports from lightroom, one of them is the exported raw file, the other is the exported jpeg file. i only resized them in photoshop, nothing else done to them. I can not tell which is which (i know but can not say here)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Solution
there's an easy test: set the creative style to monochrome and the camera to RAW+JPG, take a shot and import it to LR.

• if the RAW file is a colored image, then there's no problem at all.
  • if the RAW file is a b/w image, give some time to LR to fully load the image, as LR shows the embedded JPG thumbnail inside the RAW file and then it processes the RAW and shows its own version. your new RAW files are 42MP and much bigger than the ones from the A6400 or the Nikon were. it may take several seconds for this process to finish.

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
there's an easy test: set the creative style to monochrome and the camera to RAW+JPG, take a shot and import it to LR.

• if the RAW file is a b/w image, give some time to LR to fully load the image, as LR shows the embedded JPG thumbnail inside the RAW file and then it processes the RAW and shows its own version. your new RAW files are 42MP and much bigger than the ones from the A6400 or the Nikon were. it may take several seconds for this process to finish.

Reactions: TMG1961 and Jack
Solution

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021

I did test it.
  • I did do a raw+jpeg test and test both compressed and uncompressed raw.
  • Did took photos from desk with steady shot on and off, timer set to 5 seconds
  • Creative style set to B&W
  • When i import the files into LR the previews in library are all in B&W, also in develop tab
  • In develop tab when i click on colour in treatment the raw file does become coloured

Reactions: kzurro

kzurro

1 1
Dec 21, 2020
I did test it.
  • I did do a raw+jpeg test and test both compressed and uncompressed raw.
  • Did took photos from desk with steady shot on and off, timer set to 5 seconds
  • Creative style set to B&W
  • When i import the files into LR the previews in library are all in B&W, also in develop tab
  • In develop tab when i click on colour in treatment the raw file does become coloured
ok, then, maybe Adobe is finally able to read the creative style applied to a Sony RAW file, that's good news for Sony users. I don't use LR, but maybe the latest version of Camera Raw can also read them.

if the RAW file becomes coloured in the develop tab, means that it is a RAW file and not a huge JPG and that's good news for you. the camera works as it should and the one doing estrange things is LR.

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
ok, then, maybe Adobe is finally able to read the creative style applied to a Sony RAW file, that's good news for Sony users. I don't use LR, but maybe the latest version of Camera Raw can also read them.

if the RAW file becomes coloured in the develop tab, means that it is a RAW file and not a huge JPG and that's good news for you. the camera works as it should and the one doing estrange things is LR.
Thanks for the info. I opened the raw file in adobe photoshop with camera raw and it was in B&W but it could be turned into coloured photo.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi TMG. Maybe you have embedded preview activated in Lightroom, I believe it is automatically activated now after the recent update. This video may be of help.

Reactions: Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.