Want critique Refraction - Water drops with a daisy in background

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hi Ecaval,

I had to move this post to the stacked pictures section, yes it is a water droplet shot where you had posted but we prefer to keep any stacked in this section, all good now

As for your stack, its a pretty good try, the stick and water droplets look sharp. Keeping the waterdrops round to get the refraction image in the drop is always tricky, some surfaces just wont co-operate but yours arent too bad. A little photoshop cleanup is needed on the left side to neaten up the stack but overall its pretty good. I am unsure of the WB without seeing the original stick/stalk colour, it does look a little yellow where i expected more green, are you maybe using incandescent light? The last thing i will suggest is to increase the light hitting the flower to get more pop and definition in the refraction as well as better foreground to background separation in the whole scene, i usually only let a little of the side light to light the foreground while keeping all the rest of the light hit the background directly. Hope to see more of your work and ask away if you have any questions 🙏

Craigo79

Jan 17, 2022
Well done with your first attempt. I suggest before loading as layers in PS you do a inspection for dust spots on the images and clean them up first. They can be annoying to clean in the stacked shot. Lighting these shots can be finicky at times but for a first attempt you have done well just the hotspots on the droplets over time you will find to be a bit displeasing.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Ecaval

Feb 6, 2022
Well done with your first attempt. I suggest before loading as layers in PS you do a inspection for dust spots on the images and clean them up first. They can be annoying to clean in the stacked shot. Lighting these shots can be finicky at times but for a first attempt you have done well just the hotspots on the droplets over time you will find to be a bit displeasing.
Thank you for the suggestions. I still have a lot to learn.

Ecaval

Feb 6, 2022
Hi Ecaval,

I had to move this post to the stacked pictures section, yes it is a water droplet shot where you had posted but we prefer to keep any stacked in this section, all good now

As for your stack, its a pretty good try, the stick and water droplets look sharp. Keeping the waterdrops round to get the refraction image in the drop is always tricky, some surfaces just wont co-operate but yours arent too bad. A little photoshop cleanup is needed on the left side to neaten up the stack but overall its pretty good. I am unsure of the WB without seeing the original stick/stalk colour, it does look a little yellow where i expected more green, are you maybe using incandescent light? The last thing i will suggest is to increase the light hitting the flower to get more pop and definition in the refraction as well as better foreground to background separation in the whole scene, i usually only let a little of the side light to light the foreground while keeping all the rest of the light hit the background directly. Hope to see more of your work and ask away if you have any questions 🙏
Thank you for your useful suggestions! I will put these to practice.

Reactions: Chavezshutter