Your opinion? Santa and his Crystal Ball (Soap Bubbles)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
Today I play with the soap bubbles.
I had a gift bag with a portrait of Santa holding a wrapped gift, so I want to incorporate it into a photo of a large soap bubble on a stand. I did several versions using different DOF and such, and these were my finals. The Soap Bubble became a crystal ball of sorts.

Nikon D7100, ISO500-ish, DOF varied, 105mm Nikkor macro lens, tripod, manual focus, shutter speed varied depending the amount of light I needed. Lighting was daylight window, and the reflection of the TV, a Christmas tree and two soft boxes set about ten feet away from the scene. I am going to do a few tonight when the room is darker with the Christmas tree reflecting on the bubble or behind it.

Santa with Crystal Ball (soap bubble)--3.jpg Santa with Crystal Ball (soap bubble)--2.jpg Santa with Crystal Ball (soap bubble)-.jpg Santa with Crystal Ball (soap bubble)--4.jpg

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Great concept! They look great, the first and second are my favourite. Darker surroundings will add more colour and reflection to the bubble, looking forward to seeing the results. Very well done

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
As lovitazoe lovitazoe said, the first photo is stunning. Very colourful and gives that Christmas vibe. They all great, but love the first one. You had a bit of fun playing with soap bubbles.

Is that hard to practice? I would like to try it as well.

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
As lovitazoe lovitazoe said, the first photo is stunning. Very colourful and gives that Christmas vibe. They all great, but love the first one. You had a bit of fun playing with soap bubbles.

Hi Jack, and thanks. I do love playing around with the soap bubbles. The hardest part, besides controlling lighting hotspots, is getting the mixture right, so the bubbles don't pop before you are ready to shoot. I am using a combination of water, Dawn dish detergent and some glycerine. The glycerine helps keep them stronger so they don't pop right away. I can't tell you my ratio on this mix, but if you look online, there are people that give the amounts. (youtube videos)
Keep the set up out of any drafty places, moving air will make them pop. ;-)

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021

Here's something I played with a little bit the other day. A rough set up of Soap Bubble under glass. I am going to be fussing with this idea during the night time over the weekend. Try to get in closer to the soap bubble with some nice colors rolling through it.

Soap Bubble under glass with Santa-0731.jpg

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Here's something I played with a little bit the other day. A rough set up of Soap Bubble under glass. I am going to be fussing with this idea during the night time over the weekend. Try to get in closer to the soap bubble with some nice colors rolling through it.

Nice one. I think you might want to spit polish the glass a bit ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Tina Boes

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Is that soap bubble inside to an other bubble?