Camera Scratched sensor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member want's to discuss body camera model specified in the topic.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I did a small not scientific test to see if the scratch on the photos would be too much to edit out. At f/3.5 you almost don't see the scratch, at f/8 it is visible and at f/13 it is very visible. But it can be removed in photoshop. I think that for the time being i can live with it, just need to pay a lot more attention to composing the shot.

unedited exported jpeg at f/3.5
DSC_6705.jpg

Unedited exported jpeg at f/8 and edited jpeg at f/8
DSC_6702.jpg DSC_6702-bewerkt.jpg

And finally exported unedited jpeg and edited jpeg at f/13
DSC_6703.jpg DSC_6703-bewerkt.jpg

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Thats a bad scratch there TMG1961, but like you say photoshop can can cure it most of the time.
I maybe wrong but if you convert to astro, they still keep the sensor but change the optical filter above the sensor.
either way 500 euros for a replacement sensor is too much to pay..

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Thats a bad scratch there TMG1961, but like you say photoshop can can cure it most of the time.
I maybe wrong but if you convert to astro, they still keep the sensor but change the optical filter above the sensor.
either way 500 euros for a replacement sensor is too much to pay..
I am going to a repair centre tomorrow which is about 17 miles from me. They will have a look and then tell me what it would cost. I also mentioned only changing the glass cover that is on the sensor, the sensor itself is undamaged, it is just the little piece of optical glass in front of it that has the scratch on it.

A astro conversion would cost me 280 - 325 euro depending on what option i take. Only downside is that i need to send the camera by mail.

Yes if the camera is converted to astro or Infra Red then the sensor is kept, they only take all the filters off and replace them with others.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Just seen these images. That's really bad scratch. I would probably sell the camera on ebay and save for brand new camera body.

Depending on the photo, it could be easily removed in photoshop, but also could be harder too.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
I am going to a repair centre tomorrow which is about 17 miles from me. They will have a look and then tell me what it would cost. I also mentioned only changing the glass cover that is on the sensor, the sensor itself is undamaged, it is just the little piece of optical glass in front of it that has the scratch on it.

A astro conversion would cost me 280 - 325 euro depending on what option i take. Only downside is that i need to send the camera by mail.

Yes if the camera is converted to astro or Infra Red then the sensor is kept, they only take all the filters off and replace them with others.
Let's hope the price is reasonable.
An Astro conversion is a good option if you like night time shots or Milky way images, the camera can still be used in daytime but you would have to just play with the white balance in photoshop or set a custom white balance in camera.
Evening shots of sunsets would be great due to the red enhancement from the new filter.

Reactions: Jack and TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
What a waste of time, a 45 minute drive one way. I gave the woman behind the reception the camera, she went into the back and 10-15 seconds later a man came back with my camera and asked if i was sure it was a scratch and not dirt. I told him it was a scratch.

I told him to put the mirror up and then he could see it was a scratch, he told me he did and if that was a scratch the sensor was a write off. So i asked if he could replace the glas cover, they did not do that. He als did not replace sensors, strange because yesterday they told me on the phone that they did do that. Only thing he could do is take the glas cover of, price 120-150 euro.

I did not have the glass cover removed, from what i know it changes the focus. I will have a good look into astro conversion or sell the camera for spare parts.

Last edited:

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
What a waste of time, a 45 minute drive one way. I gave the woman behind the reception the camera, she went into the back and 10-15 seconds later a man came back with my camera and asked if i was sure it was a scratch and not dirt. I told him it was a scratch.

I told him to put the mirror up and then he could see it was a scratch, he told me he did and if that was a scratch the sensor was a write off. So i asked if he could replace the glas cover, they did not do that. He als did not replace sensors, strange because yesterday they told me on the phone that they did do that. Only thing he could do is take the glas cover of, price 120-150 euro.

I did not have the glass cover removed, from what i know it changes the focus. I will have a good look into astro conversion or sell the camera for spare parts.
Thats annoying indeed. I would certainly go for the astro mod instead then especially if you have decent dark skies close to you, so you can get the most out of it.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Thats annoying indeed. I would certainly go for the astro mod instead then especially if you have decent dark skies close to you, so you can get the most out of it.
Not much real good dark sky around my area. But it is either astro conversion or try to sell it for parts. Think i won't get more then maybe 100 euro's if i sell it for spare parts. I have asked the company that does astro conversions some questions, haven't heard from them yet. Will wait for their answer first.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Not much real good dark sky around my area. But it is either astro conversion or try to sell it for parts. Think i won't get more then maybe 100 euro's if i sell it for spare parts. I have asked the company that does astro conversions some questions, haven't heard from them yet. Will wait for their answer first.

Try to sell it on ebay, see how much you might get it. If you going to local shop, they will pay less, on ebay at least you can negotiate.