Camera Scratched sensor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member want's to discuss body camera model specified in the topic.

thematelot

Mar 5, 2022
Because i could not get the sensor clean from my Nikon d7200 i decided to use tweezers and a pec pad with some sensor cleaning fluid and try to get the stubborn dust spots of the sensor with some pressure that i could not apply when using sensor swabs.

Well to make along story very short. I scratched the sensor and it now has a big scratch on it that is visible on photos and does not matter what aperture you use, visible from f3.5 all the way to f/36

My own fault, i should have been more careful and maybe use a cotton swab with the pac pad instead of the metal tweezers. I am afraid that it will be a expensive repair and not sure if i am going to have it repaired if it too expensive.
Sorry to hear about your disaster. I too learned the hard way with a fairly new Nikon D100 (many years ago!). The repair cost was prohibitive so I sidestepped and bought a D200 as a replacement, never going near the sensor ever again! I've switched to Olympus now (more suited to a 76 year old) and have never had a dirty sensor since (they claim the sensor is cleaned each time the camera is turned on, and I have no reason to doubt them). As in many things, experience is everything!

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
The camera is gone. A friend of mine offered me 200 euro and i accepted. He is going to try to fix the sensor problem himself. Hope he gets the screws loose, i tried and could not get any of them to move.

Reactions: Andy Smith

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
I found a replacement for the d7200. It is a d7100 with shuttercount of 4500 in good condition for 279 euro. Should be arriving next Tuesday or Wednesday.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Received the d7100 and first thing i did was check its condition and then the sensor. The sensor is very dirty, i counted over 30 spots on it. Called the shop to request a rma number so i could send it back. It is already back in the box it came in and i will bring it to the postoffice tomorrow morning to have it send back to the shop.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
You would think they would clean the sensor before sending it out to a customer. A used camera should be fully serviced before they sell it..

Reactions: TMG1961

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
You would think they would clean the sensor before sending it out to a customer. A used camera should be fully serviced before they sell it..
I contacted the shop and their practice is that every camera has a visual check to see if anything is wrong with the body followed by cleaning the sensor. The D7100 came from one of their shops and was first send to the central warehouse before it was send to me. Apparently the shop did not do the sensor cleaning before it was send to me, in the warehouse they do not do that. They had time because i ordered the camera on sept 30 and got it yesterday oct 5 and The Netherlands is not so big that it takes 5 days to get from one end of the country to the other end.

The camera is on its way back to them and should be arriving tomorrow or Saturday. Should have my money back by the end of next week.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
After returning the D7100 i got my money back. Last Friday i saw another d7100 in a camerashop with 2582 actuations and in a as new condition. Price was 399 euro. I received it yesterday, only problem with it was that the battery had just 50% capacity left. So i mailed the shop and told them i received the camera and that i liked it and it looked as new and also mentioned the old weak battery. They send me a new battery, which should be arriving tomorrow.

I sold my Sony a6000 and the 2 kitlenses and got 435 euro for it. Sold it to MPB. From that money i bought the above Nikon d7100