Photography Selling on stock images website

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
This thread is about general or macro photography discussion. Feel free to talk as much as you want :).

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
but then means you may wait a year untill you reach that amount.
It all depends on how many images you sell, I don't worry about it as it will never be a main income but more like a bit of a bonus that drops every so often. upload & forget really.
Yes in Lightroom in the library section, under keywording, keyword list & metadata. I never use tags outside of stock images as I keep my photo library organized within bridge instead, but I guess if had a few years or a couple of 1,000 images keywording makes sense to help you find images you have by searching in your library for those tags you added previously. Probably a great help to commercial who do sports events etc and need to keep tabs on certain brands, colors, people etc

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
It all depends on how many images you sell, I don't worry about it as it will never be a main income but more like a bit of a bonus that drops every so often. upload & forget really.
I usually remove my images from Lightroom once I'm done with them. I need to look into it. If the photo has already tags within metadata, that's already applied when uploaded in stock site?

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Yes it will be saved in the Metadata, I usually import the photos I want to publish, fix the tags in Lightroom then export with the settings I have saved for Freepik images (file name, folder, etc). Then I remove them from Lightroom also. Then I just upload from the folder I saved them to. It might not be the best way to do it but it works for me. :)

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Seems that is a lot of work. I do upload images to my own website, without any tags. I might try to use tags within Lightroom and see how it works. What's the best sold images on there?

Tina Boes

Jul 25, 2021
I sell a few images every month on FreePik.com
Not a huge income but around 10 cents per image, so a few quid each month for not much effort to be honest, and I uploaded a lot of images that were just sitting on my HDD doing nothing.
If you sign up, please use the following link so I can get bonus points for referrals.. :)

10 cents per image, as in one dime in USD? Seems it would take forever to reach any kind of payment. LOL Also, do you add your signature or logo on the images? Or do they require you don't do that? I'm checking into this.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Not a huge income but around 10 cents per image, so a few quid each month for not much effort to be honest, and I uploaded a lot of images that were just sitting on my HDD doing nothing.
If you sign up, please use the following link so I can get bonus points for referrals.. :)

10 cents per image, as in one dime in USD? Seems it would take forever to reach any kind of payment. LOL Also, do you add your signature or logo on the images? Or do they require you don't do that? I'm checking into this.
There definitely should be some copyright policy, I doubt that you can upload any photo with logo to any stock photo sites.

Reactions: Tina Boes

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021

Yes Jack is right, I have had a few images rejected due to copyright infringement, like street shots with brand names showing on shops, cars, advertising billboards etc - have to remove those first and no signature or personal logo on the image. For people shots, you will also need to upload a signed model release, similarly you will need to upload a property release also if the image is from private property showing architecture, copyrighted subjects like books, photo's, adverts, newspapers, magazines etc will require authorization from the owner - So quite a list of do's & don'ts but I keep away from any copyrighted stuff now anyway, and just upload nature, landscape, and textures mainly.

• Italian Face
Reactions: Jack and Tina Boes

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

sounds to me a lot of headache when comes to choose which photos to be uploaded there. I do shoot landscape and portraits as well. I had some uploaded to getty and shutterstock, so far only couple of them have been rejected.

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021

There are so many stock photo sites now, with millions of images uploaded so it is always hit & miss and like I mentioned before you will never get rich from doing it, more like a bit of pocket money every now & then. I seem to sell textures more than anything, which I guess are used in games or 3d work maybe. sometimes what I think will sell doesn't and images I think are useless do actually sell. But I find myself snapping stuff when I am out & about, apply very minimal processing (if any at all) and then 5 minutes to upload them so no real issues with headaches or spending a lot of time on it. I imagine some photographers spend hours setting up food shots and corporate image shots of brochures, board meetings, hand shakes, etc and they maybe get more reward but that's not really for me as it is not how I will make a living. I upload and forget about it to be honest, then when a cheque drops it's a nice bonus.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

probably 10 years ago. You could make some good money out of selling images on stock sites, but as there are more and more "photographers", the market is over saturated and competition is very high. Unless you visit "undercovered" places to take beautiful photos. I will definitely try it, maybe uploading couple of images, and see what's going. But as you said, is always good bonus.

Reactions: Andy Smith