shooting very small insects

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Yesterday i did try getting a good sharp macro photo of a small spider. I did use a flash to get enough light and even used a tripod which i normally don't use.
I could not get a sharp photo of the spider. It was a very small spider, about 2mm. I know that the DOF is very narrow in macro and i usually don't go beyond f/11 on my full frame camera. I don't have a macro lens for the Nikon d7100.

I used the magnification and was sure that i had a good focus but none of the photos was sharp. i used 1/250 second shutterspeed with the flash. That should be good enough to freeze any movement.

How do you go ahead with very small insects? I don't have a problem with bees, wasps and generally any insect that is larger than 1 cm but do struggle with anything smaller than 0.5 cm

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Its tough sometimes Theo, I usually end up with a fair few shots that are out of focus and end up being deleted.
You can be just a couple of mm out when you press the shutter, either through slight body movement or wind or even slight camera shake, it just takes perseverance.
I don't usually use a tripod outdoors for macro, and I find that taking multiple images helps me a lot, and I find myself rocking backwards and forwards ever so slightly to try to ensure I get at least one shot is focused on the eyes or part of the insect I am aiming for.
Your setting should be ok though especially with flash also, but even the slightest wind can move the subject a tiny bit.
Try finding a small dead insect or object and practice inside the house if you can, then you have more time to ensure everything is set perfectly.

TMG1961

1 2
May 22, 2021
Thanks for your answer Andy. rocking back and forwards does not work for me, i tend to loose balance when i do that. I usually don't use a tripod when shooting macro, i was at home in my garden when i tried shooting the spider, so no carrying a tripod around the entire walk.

i will try to use the burst mode and see if that gets me better results with smaller insects.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Thanks for your answer Andy. rocking back and forwards does not work for me, i tend to loose balance when i do that. I usually don't use a tripod when shooting macro, i was at home in my garden when i tried shooting the spider, so no carrying a tripod around the entire walk.

i will try to use the burst mode and see if that gets me better results with smaller insects.
sometimes when going handheld Theo, even your breathing rhythm can affect the focus point by moving the camera a tiny amount every time you breathe, so burst mode should compensate for this. I try to control my breathing and press the shutter when I am slowly breathing out.

Reactions: TMG1961