• Dear guest, quick remind that Macroderie is a private community, and in order to join us you need an invite code which can be given by already in members or you can request one here. Thanks.
Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Your opinion? 

Small Beetle - Different Lighting Approach

So I bought myself a hotshoe extension cable, allowing me to use my flash off camera but still connected via the cable so I don't need master / slave set ups etc. I thought I would use it for mushroom images and similar, to be able to get nice side lit shots. As there are no mushrooms around me at the moment, I thought I would test things out on a dead beetle I found by my back door this morning. Not sure of the beetle name but shot details are:
1x shot handheld, Canon R5, Laowa 100mm 2x macro, Canon 430 EXII flash, f/13.0, 1/250th, ISO 100
Let me know your thoughts and where I can improve my technique.. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 221121_R5_022-1_2048.jpg
    221121_R5_022-1_2048.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 16
Hi, I was born in Mansfield, UK and have spent most of my adult life living and working across the Middle East and Asia. I recently decided to resign from working in Dubai, where I have spent the past 30 years, to spend more time at home with...
View all 4 featured items
EXIF
Canon R5, Laowa 100mm 2x macro, Canon 430 EXII flash, f/13.0, 1/250th, ISO 100

Chavezshutter

Supporter
Supporter
Local time
2:56 AM
Aug 4, 2020
Interesting idea going off camera flash on this beetle. I always shoot flash on camera except for special type of photography, the light is nice but falls off quickly on the rounded beetle body, it's a bit Rembrandt which works well in portrait but harder to do in macro. The wood beneath the beetle is blending in a bit with the beetle and not giving much separation. I like the colours, sharpness and learning to play with light is very good to learn as photographers but it needs a few tweaks in my opinion.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Helix_2648

Legend TEAM
Local time
4:56 PM
Apr 20, 2020
I like the idea to lighten the insect from beside. The result looks really good! Maybe better as from the front with a mounted flash.

Reactions: Andy Smith