Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
Your opinion? 

Small Beetle - Different Lighting Approach

So I bought myself a hotshoe extension cable, allowing me to use my flash off camera but still connected via the cable so I don't need master / slave set ups etc. I thought I would use it for mushroom images and similar, to be able to get nice side lit shots. As there are no mushrooms around me at the moment, I thought I would test things out on a dead beetle I found by my back door this morning. Not sure of the beetle name but shot details are:
1x shot handheld, Canon R5, Laowa 100mm 2x macro, Canon 430 EXII flash, f/13.0, 1/250th, ISO 100
Let me know your thoughts and where I can improve my technique.. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 221121_R5_022-1_2048.jpg
    221121_R5_022-1_2048.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi, I was born in Mansfield, UK and have spent most of my adult life living and working across the Middle East and Asia. I recently decided to resign from working in Dubai, where I have spent the past 30 years, to spend more time at home with...
View all 11 featured items
EXIF
Canon R5, Laowa 100mm 2x macro, Canon 430 EXII flash, f/13.0, 1/250th, ISO 100

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Interesting idea going off camera flash on this beetle. I always shoot flash on camera except for special type of photography, the light is nice but falls off quickly on the rounded beetle body, it's a bit Rembrandt which works well in portrait but harder to do in macro. The wood beneath the beetle is blending in a bit with the beetle and not giving much separation. I like the colours, sharpness and learning to play with light is very good to learn as photographers but it needs a few tweaks in my opinion.

Reactions: Andy Smith

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I like the idea to lighten the insect from beside. The result looks really good! Maybe better as from the front with a mounted flash.

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
So I bought myself a hotshoe extension cable, allowing me to use my flash off camera but still connected via the cable so I don't need master / slave set ups etc. I thought I would use it for mushroom images and similar, to be able to get nice side lit shots. As there are no mushrooms around me at the moment, I thought I would test things out on a dead beetle I found by my back door this morning. Not sure of the beetle name but shot details are:
1x shot handheld, Canon R5, Laowa 100mm 2x macro, Canon 430 EXII flash, f/13.0, 1/250th, ISO 100
Let me know your thoughts and where I can improve my technique.. Thanks all.

nice climate on the picture and sharpness :)