Soft for image editing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

MikeB

May 16, 2021
What software you usually recommending to use for editing raw images? I was using PS, but it's getting a bit expensive.
PS itself is not raw editing software (it uses Adobe Camera Raw or ACR as a plugin to convert images). I know a lot of people swear by it but I have transitioned to a fully open-source (and therefore free) workflow 15 years ago. Back then, software was pretty clunky but now it sometimes outperforms commercial offerings.

Just similar to using ACR from within PS to convert raw images, I use Darktable both standalone as well as plugin from within Gimp. Occasionally I also use Rawtherapee/ART f.i. for pixelshift images which DT does not handle very well. Darktable, Rawtherapee and Gimp are available on all OS platforms and are of course entirely free and open.
Nope, as I said I use a predominantly F/OSS workflow. For the organizing, tagging and cataloging of images I use Digikam.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
What software you usually recommending to use for editing raw images? I was using PS, but it's getting a bit expensive.
PS itself is not raw editing software (it uses Adobe Camera Raw or ACR as a plugin to convert images). I know a lot of people swear by it but I have transitioned to a fully open-source (and therefore free) workflow 15 years ago. Back then, software was pretty clunky but now it sometimes outperforms commercial offerings.

Just similar to using ACR from within PS to convert raw images, I use Darktable both standalone as well as plugin from within Gimp. Occasionally I also use Rawtherapee/ART f.i. for pixelshift images which DT does not handle very well. Darktable, Rawtherapee and Gimp are available on all OS platforms and are of course entirely free and open.
I've have never heard about that soft. Is that free to use or you need to purchase it?

MikeB

May 16, 2021

Totally free and cross-platform. You can find it here https://www.digikam.org/

What is digiKam?​

digiKam is an advanced open-source digital photo management application that runs on Linux, Windows, and MacOS. The application provides a comprehensive set of tools for importing, managing, editing, and sharing photos and raw files.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

I'll have yo try it. Nowadays are so many editing softwares, that is hard to choose one.

MikeB

May 16, 2021

darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer. A virtual lighttable and darkroom for photographers. It manages your digital negatives in a database, lets you view them through a zoomable lighttable and enables you to develop raw images and enhance them.
GIMP is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software, you can change its source code and distribute your changes.

Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist, GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization options and 3rd party plugins.
RawTherapee is a free, cross-platform raw image processing program
ART, a free, open-source, cross-platform raw image processing program. ART is a derivative of the popular RawTherapee, trading a bit of customization and control over various processing parameters for a simpler and (hopefully) easier to use interface, while still maintaining the power and quality of RawTherapee.
G'MIC is a full-featured open-source framework for digital image processing, distributed under the CeCILL free software licenses (LGPL-like and/or GPL-compatible). It provides several user interfaces to convert / process / visualize generic image datasets, ranging from 1D scalar signals to 3D+t sequences of multi-spectral volumetric images, hence including 2D color images.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

most of the time I'm using Lightroom, Luminar 4 and maybe sometimes Topaz which is great soft.

Reactions: MikeB

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
Luminair 4, Topaz Studio and Affinity Photo are great tools if you don't want to sign up with monthly costs. I prefer LR for this but it#s a question of what you want to pay and what software you're familiar to.

piotr

Apr 22, 2021
I'm using Lightroom,Topaz denoise and sharpen and Helicon.
Ppl often complaining about paying subscription every month. But c'mon guys - it's only £9 a month - like three coffees in Costa? For that money you've got powerful software (lightroom and photoshop). And you don't need to pay for any upgrades. For me it's a perfect option.
Now I'm testing PureRaw from DXO. Looks promising.

MikeB

May 16, 2021
Ppl often complaining about paying subscription every month. But c'mon guys - it's only £9 a month - like three coffees in Costa? For that money you've got powerful software (lightroom and photoshop). And you don't need to pay for any upgrades.
If that's your thing, fine, why not? Just good to be aware of other powerful options out there which do not require either a paid subscription, paid updates or neither. I paid up for Zerene which is basically a lifetime of guaranteed updates and NeatImage for which I've paid an initial fee and years after a one-time upgrade on a major version change with all of the other upgrades free. I also paid a small fee for Photomatics. The rest of my powerful software suite is totally free and open-source. Accumulated savings have already paid for a few lenses in the past 15 years.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Luminair 4, Topaz Studio and Affinity Photo are great tools if you don't want to sign up with monthly costs. I prefer LR for this but it#s a question of what you want to pay and what software you're familiar to.
Adobe monthly subscription is ridiculous and expensive. It was better before when you just can purchase the licence and use it. Nowadays there are lot of other choices at less price or even free.

Reactions: MikeB