Others Some Astrophotography Images

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Hi all,
For those who are interested here are a few shots of the night sky from my home in North Eastern Thailand. Beautiful clear, dark skies most of the year. All images taken from my first floor balconies (either front or back depending on time of year).
Gear I mainly used is my Canon R5, or my older 5D Mk III, Canon EF16-35mm f/2.8L III (for Milky Way shots), Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II (for Orion Nebula & Comet Leonard).
I usually take around 10 to 15 shots for Milky Way and stack them in Starry Landscape Stacker and then further edit them in Photoshop, for the Comet Leonard I took 20 shots and did the same.
I have recently purchased an IOptron Sky Guider Pro, which now allows me to take 3 to 5 minute exposure shots without blurring the stars and for the Orion Nebula I took 20 tracked shots at 180 seconds, f/4.0, ISO 800 and 20 shots at 15 secs, f/4.0, ISO 800 (to get the core of the Nebula not blown out) then stacked them separately in Siril software and blended the two final output images in Photoshop.
I only take lights frames and do not bother at the moment with dark frames, bias frames or flat frames as I am happy with the results I get at this time and don't want the hobby to consume me too much. :)
Hope you like them and I am interested to hear your thoughts, input or ideas.
Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• 2021 MilkyWay_001_IG post - Portrait_1080x1350_U_30.jpg
    2021 MilkyWay_001_IG post - Portrait_1080x1350_U_30.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 3112_Leonard Master_2048 long edge_2048x1365_U_50.jpg
    3112_Leonard Master_2048 long edge_2048x1365_U_50.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 11
  • Final MW July 2021_Macroderie_2048.jpg
    Final MW July 2021_Macroderie_2048.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Orion 2_Test_2048.jpg
    Orion 2_Test_2048.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 11

nataliaflejszar&Photo

Welcome to the beautiful North of Europe :)
3 2
Apr 18, 2020
So amazing shots! Perfectly captured astro pictures! 🤩. Thanks for sharing 😃🤩
I love night Photography very much but last times haven't enough patienc but I need return for that! There's so lot of learning and practice also !
Have you tried ever star trails Andy Smith Andy Smith ?

Chavezshutter

Staff member
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Oh wow, these are very nice. Comet Leonard shot is great, good job capturing it. I can see the horsehead nebula in the tracked Orion shot 👏. You have nice colours in the milky way (setting white balance can be tricky in astro). Stars look good, very little to none coma effect. There is a tiny bit of light pollution on the first and third shot but its very manageable and a worthwhile trade off if you can shoot these from your backyard. I would get much worse If I was to shoot from my backyard with Melbourne's city lights.

Do you do any post processing on the wilky shots? I found dodging and burning the milky way helps to give it pop. I don't do much of the other processing recommended apart from stacking of course. I only shoot dark frames in warm nights to keep away hot pixels more than anything.

Very nice work, thanks for sharing 🙏

Andy Smith

1 2
Sep 17, 2021
Oh wow, these are very nice. Comet Leonard shot is great, good job capturing it. I can see the horsehead nebula in the tracked Orion shot 👏. You have nice colours in the milky way (setting white balance can be tricky in astro). Stars look good, very little to none coma effect. There is a tiny bit of light pollution on the first and third shot but its very manageable and a worthwhile trade off if you can shoot these from your backyard. I would get much worse If I was to shoot from my backyard with Melbourne's city lights.

Do you do any post processing on the wilky shots? I found dodging and burning the milky way helps to give it pop. I don't do much of the other processing recommended apart from stacking of course. I only shoot dark frames in warm nights to keep away hot pixels more than anything.

Very nice work, thanks for sharing 🙏
Hi Chavezshutter,
Thanks for the comment, I know the light pollution is tough especially now they have just installed street lights in the village which makes it harder to shoot from the backyard.
I do minimal post processing in photoshop, just a bit of levels adjustment, sharpening, and a touch of D&B if needed for the Milky Way shots.

Reactions: Chavezshutter