Your opinion? Something that I do a few years ago

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Lovely photo. Well done. Maybe some tips and information for newbies? I've never done water drops, but is something I would like to try in the future. Maybe you can write a tutorial how you do it or start a blog on our forum. I'll definitely be interested reading it.

Y3ll0www

Jan 1, 2022
Lovely photo. Well done. Maybe some tips and information for newbies? I've never done water drops, but is something I would like to try in the future. Maybe you can write a tutorial how you do it or start a blog on our forum. I'll definitely be interested reading it.
The best way to learn is to watch "how to" on youtube... that's what I do and I learn by my mistakes.. ( a lot of mistakes..šŸ˜‚)
at the time I took this picture I had to take thousands of them before I understood how to synchronize my flash, the aperture speed and how to create very regular drops... I had put a plastic bag with a hole for the drops and another one on top that dripped into the first bag to compensate the weight of the water column...because the heavier the water column is the faster the drops fall...not easy at all ā€¦ but now there are tubes made for that...there are some at pluto, at stackshot, at mjkzz...with syncronization systems that make the work much easier..
But above all... go on youtube.. and search Ā« pluto trigger water droplet Ā»

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
The best way to learn is to watch "how to" on youtube... that's what I do and I learn by my mistakes.. ( a lot of mistakes..šŸ˜‚)
at the time I took this picture I had to take thousands of them before I understood how to synchronize my flash, the aperture speed and how to create very regular drops... I had put a plastic bag with a hole for the drops and another one on top that dripped into the first bag to compensate the weight of the water column...because the heavier the water column is the faster the drops fall...not easy at all ā€¦ but now there are tubes made for that...there are some at pluto, at stackshot, at mjkzz...with syncronization systems that make the work much easier..
But above all... go on youtube.. and search Ā« pluto trigger water droplet Ā»

I bet that's not easy job to take water drops pictures. I saw Craigo79 Craigo79 set up, and you need some room for it as well.

You can share you home studio on Showcase page, would be very interesting to see how you've set it up.

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
These crowns are pretty easy to capture even without a kit.

I'm sure you need more than 1 speedlight to capture that. Same from your picture, 2 on the side and be triggered by the camera.

Craigo79

Jan 17, 2022
You can get away with a single speedlight , especially with category 1 drops and crowns. 2 is ideal but 1 it can be done.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
You can get away with a single speedlight , especially with category 1 drops and crowns. 2 is ideal but 1 it can be done.
I'll definitely need to try it one day. Haven't used my macro lens for months now šŸ˜…

Reactions: Craigo79