Want critique The sleeping emperor - Dragonfly UV

The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
Sony A7iii, Loawa 100mm x2 F2.8 macro lens, ISO 1000, f/11, 1.6 second, tripod, 2 UV flashlights.

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

I have wanted to shoot this photo for quite some time. It is an Australian emperor dragonfly (Anax papuensis) under UV light. I have shown posts of this dragonfly before, it is the most common dragonflies I find near my home and occasionally I am lucky to find one sleeping and can get some very nice close ups. Under normal light they have a dull gold/bronze colour with black and yellow markings along its tail. One feature I really like about this species is the cat mask markings they have just before the tail

The original photo I took had so much glowing dust, fluff and even spiderwebs over the dragonflies wing that I considered not using the shot and wait for another attempt, I also tried using a rocket blower over the sleeping dragonfly's wings and the plant in the background with not much success , in the end I chose to clean up the photo with some photoshop, it took a lot longer than I wanted and ended up being the most time consuming part of the photo but I really wanted a UV dragonfly shot for a long time so I kept at it and managed to do a decent job with the cleanup. I also used some of the out of focus glowing bits to add bokeh light balls under the wings. I did manage to get shots where I was more squared with the wings but I chose this angle as it created more different textures in the wings, going from out of focus, soft lines to sharp cells/panels within the wings. I hope you like it....

As a comparison, here is the photo before the cleanup..

Lazarito305

Feb 8, 2022
Gorgeous man.

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Yohanna_D

Legend TEAM
3 2 1
Jul 14, 2020
it's really unexpected to see such colours; was the dragonfly still alive? or was it already dead? (I am asking you this because you explained how you tried to clean the plant by using a device - so didn't that thing scare the dragonfly?)
Other than that, really awesome colours and photo!

Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Yes it was alive, once they are asleep it takes quite a lot to wake them up. So yes - I was trying to clean it while it was sleeping with a rocket blower, the plant has furry leaves and it had a bunch of glowing junk on it as well. Glad you like the photo

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…