Your opinion? The strangest spider I have found so far....Scorpion-tailed Spider (Arachnura higginsi)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked your opinion about his/her photo(s) attached in the topic.
EXIF
Sony A7iii, Canon 100mm EF macro lens, f/8, ISO 200, 1/125 sec, flash, handheld

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
Hello,

This photo is from a few months back. I was looking around my front garden when I noticed a very unusual spider web, the web had width as well as depth, it was like comparing a 3d object vs a picture, it was extremely complex and relatively small. I looked at the web for a while when I noticed what I thought was a tiny twig near the center of the web move, it casually began to wave around. When i took a closer look I saw the little guy. This spider is from the orb-weaver family and I have never seen or heard of it before and have much more to find out about them. I am not sure how rare it is but it does look otherworldly. I had to post a few photos to show the freakiness I call "facehugger" :LOL:

DSC03660-2.jpg
f/8, ISO 200, 1/125 sec, flash, handheld
DSC03657.jpg

DSC03676.jpg

Greg Shchepanek

Greg
Monthly VIP
5 3 3
Apr 20, 2020
OMG! An alien :alien: parasite has been found. That tail is insane ... I have never seen anything like this before ... jealous in a good way.
Well spotted and another brilliant spider from 🇦🇺

• Love
Reactions: Chavezshutter

Chavezshutter

Staff member
Legend TEAM
3 1
Aug 4, 2020
From what I have learnt about this spider the tail has no known use and it is only the female that have it. The spider is not considered rare in some places in Australia yet at the same time very rare in others areas. Nature observation record website iNaturalist.org has 21 recorded sites for this particular spider in my home state of Victoria, Australia

Last edited:

Desc1234

Jan 6, 2021
Hello,

This photo is from a few months back. I was looking around my front garden when I noticed a very unusual spider web, the web had width as well as depth, it was like comparing a 3d object vs a picture, it was extremely complex and relatively small. I looked at the web for a while when I noticed what I thought was a tiny twig near the center of the web move, it casually began to wave around. When i took a closer look I saw the little guy. This spider is from the orb-weaver family and I have never seen or heard of it before and have much more to find out about them. I am not sure how rare it is but it does look otherworldly. I had to post a few photos to show the freakiness I call "facehugger" :LOL:

View attachment 10919
View attachment 10920

View attachment 10921
WOw, that's an interesting catch:) Well done!

Reactions: Chavezshutter