Want critique Tiger Beetle

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Join now!
The member has asked criticism on his/her photo(s), please leave a constructive feedback.
EXIF
none available

ChanPaul

Feb 5, 2021
Tiger Beetles are a large group of beetles from the Cicindeliane subfamily and is known for their aggressive predatory habits and running speed

The fastest known species of tiger beetle, Cicindela Hudsoni can run at a speed of 9 km/h (5.6 mph; 2.5 m/s), or about 125 body lengths per second - as of 2005, about 2,600 species and subspecies were known, with the richest diversity in the Oriental (Indo-Malayan) region, followed by the Neotropic

Tiger beetles often have large bulging eyes, long, slender legs and large curved mandibles - all are predatory, both as adults and as larvae

The fast-moving adults run down their prey and are extremely fast on the wing, their reaction times being of the same order as that of common houseflies - some tiger beetles in the tropics are arboreal, but most run on the surface of the ground and they live along sea and lake shores, on sand dunes, around playa lakebeds and on clay banks or woodland paths, being particularly fond of sandy surfaces

Tiger beetles display an unusual form of pursuit in which they alternatively sprint quickly toward their prey, then stop and visually reorient - his may be because while running, the beetle is moving too fast for its visual system to accurately process images and to avoid obstacles while running they hold their antennae rigidly and directly in front of them to mechanically sense their environment

The oldest fossil tiger beetle yet found, Cretotetracha Grandis comes from the Yixian Formation in Inner Mongolia, China, and dates to the early Cretaceous Period, 125 million years ago

Attachments

• Tiger Beetle.jpg
    Tiger Beetle.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
Hello ChanPaul ChanPaul . I'm really impressed by your knowledge about insects, pretty much all your images are with good description. Are you studying them?

Regarding the image, try to have it on the middle of the frame, but that's only my preferences. So far, I can see that is sharp and colour are well balanced.

ChanPaul

Feb 5, 2021
Hello ChanPaul ChanPaul . I'm really impressed by your knowledge about insects, pretty much all your images are with good description. Are you studying them?

Regarding the image, try to have it on the middle of the frame, but that's only my preferences. So far, I can see that is sharp and colour are well balanced.
Jack, i am just a hobbyist and started having an interest in macro for only 2-3 months b4 the lockdown started in Malaysia on 18 March 2020 and since then unable to go for any form of photography so i can only post photos taken then - i don't study insects but try to find out more facts about them so i can share the information about the insects as i believe it is useless seeing an insect without knowing something about them - hope i am not boring your members to death with my sometimes lengthy info on the insects - iam still in the trial and error stage of macro and half of the time i do not know what settings to use but just shoot and pray for the best - thank you for your encouragement

Reactions: Helix_2648 and Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

Jack, i am just a hobbyist and started having an interest in macro for only 2-3 months b4 the lockdown started in Malaysia on 18 March 2020 and since then unable to go for any form of photography so i can only post photos taken then - i don't study insects but try to find out more facts about them so i can share the information about the insects as i believe it is useless seeing an insect without knowing something about them - hope i am not boring your members to death with my sometimes lengthy info on the insects - iam still in the trial and error stage of macro and half of the time i do not know what settings to use but just shoot and pray for the best - thank you for your encouragement
There is no bother at all. Personally I like to read description, and see how the member has done the photo and more information about the subject.

ChanPaul

Feb 5, 2021
There is no bother at all. Personally I like to read description, and see how the member has done the photo and more information about the subject.
thanks for your understanding Jack and the thing i like about this site is viewers don't just give u the thumbs but respond when i ask questions on how to and why n what can i do about my problems - regarding placing the pix in the center i guess that's the prefered method in macro photography for i used to read in the Rules Of Third in landscape photography that it shld not be in the center - i m trying to learn n adjust so bear with me - i am happy to be here

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020
thanks for your understanding Jack and the thing i like about this site is viewers don't just give u the thumbs but respond when i ask questions on how to and why n what can i do about my problems - regarding placing the pix in the center i guess that's the prefered method in macro photography for i used to read in the Rules Of Third in landscape photography that it shld not be in the center - i m trying to learn n adjust so bear with me - i am happy to be here
That's our standards and why we've opened. We are not just an other site where people just drop images and expects millions of likes. I do believe in art. But yes ChanPaul ChanPaul , do comment on other images too :).

Jack

Love Macro
Staff member
3 3 1
Mar 13, 2020

For me that's up to photographer where he want the subject in the the frame. Personally I always prefer the subject in the middle of the frame.

ChanPaul

Feb 5, 2021
For me that's up to photographer where he want the subject in the the frame. Personally I always prefer the subject in the middle of the frame.
now that u mentioned i i tend to agree that for macro subjects best to have it in the center - cheers mate

Reactions: Jack

Helix_2648

Real-Typer
Legend TEAM
5 3
Apr 20, 2020
I'm really happy that you enjoy our site ChanPaul ChanPaul!

Reactions: ChanPaul